Odd things happening - someone explain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPRK

Reaction score
So I brewed the centennial blonde beer for the first time. Followed the extract version of the instructions and started with a 1.044 gravity. The original time for fermentation calls for 4days primary/ 5 days secondary / bottling.

I thought that was a bit fast so I planned on 10d primary / 14d secondary then bottle.

So my batch fermented nicely in the primary for 10 days, I measured the SP came to the advertised FG of 1.008. Transferred it to the secondary carboy (it did smell pretty good) where it sat for 2 weeks and really cleared up nicely. As I got to the 14th day I started to notice more fermentation bubbles forming. The bubbling now has increased to the point where the s-tube is percolating away...

Im miffed. According to the SP reading I should be done with fermenting- and for 2 weeks there wasn't event a bubble seen. Now its bubbling away and the beer has gotten cloudier.

A few things can cause that. Yeast cake gasing off, change in temp(beer getting warmer) and change in barometric pressure. Bottle away if you want.

Take another reading. If it's still at 1.008 it's done. Next time leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle. It will clean up just as well, less work, less chance for an infection. There is no need to secondary a blonde or most ales. Almost all kit producers have "****ty" out dated instructions as far as time in primary and use of secondary. Some people think they just like to sell secondary's to make more money. LOL

So would there be a problem in waiting for this mystery fermentation to stop? Its been one more week (total of 3 weeks in secondary) so far and it doest seem to be letting up.

PPRK, take another SG reading. If it's still .008, then you should be able to bottle. The cause of the percolation is due to something else then. It won't hurt it to leave for a few days more...

Back