odd taste after kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turk01

Reaction score
New to kegging. I have kegged two batches and they both taste like plastic. I have read all the forums on the beer line but I think there is more to it. When I open the keezer it smells like the beer does. And when I purge the keg valve it smells as well. Could it be the gas? Or even the coolant from the keezer?

Sounds odd... The keg is sealed, so I doubt it would be the freezer, but the hoses could be an issue.

Is every glass bad or just ones poured when the beer sat in the hose .

Do you ferment in the freezer? And did it taste ok before you kegged?

Every glass taste the same....bad. Ferment in a cellar and it taste great before going into the keg. Can't figure it out. It taste like the inside of the keezer smells.

New to kegging. I have kegged two batches and they both taste like plastic. I have read all the forums on the beer line but I think there is more to it. When I open the keezer it smells like the beer does. And when I purge the keg valve it smells as well. Could it be the gas? Or even the coolant from the keezer?

Get scientific about it - remove one element of the puzzle each time and watch the behavior, right?

For me the first move here would be to test that CO2 tank to ensure it is not a bad batch. it could happen but doubtfully...
Make a batch of carbed up water if it tastes ok then move on to your hoses.
Make sure you use beer line hose not homedepot special plastic.

Anyone else?

I also wonder if it's your hoses. New hoses can be plasticky for a few pours, but will go away. Also if your kegs are not new, you may need to replace the rubber rings and perhaps the poppets. I would really clean the hell out of the kegs.

Thanks I have already ruled out the hoses. I did clean keg with pbw and sanitize with San star. I will try the water test thanks for the advice.

Thanks I have already ruled out the hoses. I did clean keg with pbw and sanitize with San star. I will try the water test thanks for the advice.

How are you serving it? Plastic party tap? Mine gave off a plasticy flavor for one beer only.
You mentioned keezer before so I doubt it...

What is going to be funny is that if we do all of this headscratching here only to find that your probably washing you beerglass in the washing machine - a no no. Or cleaning it with dishwasher detergent...
Here are a few links for ya if you answer yes.
http://www.micromatic.com/keg-beer-edu/pouring-perfect-beer-cid-1863.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcqS94rbYDA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If no - call it a microsoft moment and reclean everything keg to glass. Kinda like a hard reboot.

Latest posts

Back