Odd question using wlp099 in English Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugEyedValiant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a yeast starter going to hopefully save a big stout that's stuck. I am planning an English Dark Mild brew on Sunday for a 15 gallon batch (3-5 gallon fermenters using a different yeast on each) that I'm contemplating on extending to a 20 gallon using Wlp099 on the 4th fermenter. White Labs says

"WLP099 Super High Gravity Yeast:
Brewers' Notes:

Flavors from this yeast vary greatly with the beer produced. The higher the gravity, the more winey the result. Beers over 16% ABV begin to taste less like beer, and more like fortified wines.

With low gravity beers, this yeast produces a nice, subtle English ale-like ester profile."

I know the FG should end up lower than what a mild should but does anyone have experience to encourage me to not do this? Seems to me to be a reasonable risk to make on a 5 gallon batch.

I'm not sure why you'd want to do this other than curiosity. WLP099 is pretty much the last yeast I'd use for a mild - if nothing else the fact that it's diastaticus will dry it out completely when you want a mild to preserve those long-chain carbohydrates for mouthfeel, but if you have it around then I guess why not give it a go.

Yeah, WLP099 isn't really the best yeast for a mild. I'd much rather use a lower attenuating English yeast if you want a bit more character. If you're looking for a more subtle Ester profile I'd just lower the fermentation temp a bit.

Latest posts

Back