Odd Fermentation, Thoughts on why? Cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan312

Reaction score
So I've been brewing regularly for about 4 years now and have made probably over 50 batches and this recipe is one of my tried and trues and always turns out pretty well the exact same. its a 10g batch of pale ale, I usually use US05 but only had enough for 5g so I pitched that in one and I used an English ale yeast on the other 5g half... now I didn't mark it by any means but I believe the English ale finished in about 10 days which I bottled and I have the us05 which has been more like 25 days now and still looks like this- see below. It's hit its gravity target, tastes just like it's supposed to, it's about 20 Celsius where it's stored.. this is usually a very clear finishing beer. The English yeast finished perfectly-glass like clear- which is why I'm confused as they are both made from the same wort, any guess what happened?
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG

So I've been brewing regularly for about 4 years now and have made probably over 50 batches and this recipe is one of my tried and trues and always turns out pretty well the exact same. its a 10g batch of pale ale, I usually use US05 but only had enough for 5g so I pitched that in one and I used an English ale yeast on the other 5g half... now I didn't mark it by any means but I believe the English ale finished in about 10 days which I bottled and I have the us05 which has been more like 25 days now and still looks like this- see below. It's hit its gravity target, tastes just like it's supposed to, it's about 20 Celsius where it's stored.. this is usually a very clear finishing beer. The English yeast finished perfectly-glass like clear- which is why I'm confused as they are both made from the same wort, any guess what happened? View attachment 632052 View attachment 632053

The foam is from some Starsan

What causes the persistent cloudiness is a really good question, especially after 25 days, even with US-05, which is a known slow flocculator.
Usually cold crashing for a few days with or without the help of gelatin or some other fining agent helps clearing the beer quite a bit more.

Did you pitch a fresh pack of US-05 or a repitch from a harvested cake? Anything else you did differently from the previous batches?

Back