Odd Bubbling During Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewcoopergt

Reaction score
I am semi-new to meads (done about 7 one gallon batches), so I'm not sure if this is something people see on a regular basis or not.

With these two traditionals, all that is in each of them is 3lbs of honey, tap water, yeast (one with 71B and one with D47), and then I did a nutrient addition right before yeast pitch and then again about 24 hours later. It's possible that I added more nutrient (DAP) than is recommended.

Anyone know why the excessive bubbling on the surface? I've done several sour beers in the past, and it doesn't look like the beginnings of any kind of pellicle to me, and I can't detect any kind of odd smell or taste so far. Just trying to get info on why these two might be behaving like this when I haven't seen this in any of my other batches.

These batches are both about 3.5 weeks old.

Thanks for any help.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393910115.830757.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393910123.797510.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Foam is made by proteins (usually) or fatty acids (or even more rare, surfactants).

DAP isn't going to do this.

My first guess is you used too much star san.

I too thought StarSan might be the culprit, but I did a third one gallon batch at the same time as these two and it is not bubbling like this at all. It looks quite "normal".

Interesting...

In 2+ years of brewing beer and then my short time at mead i've never seen this reaction to starsan...but ill take it for sure. Guess i should RDWHAHB.

Thanks for the input!

Interesting...

In 2+ years of brewing beer and then my short time at mead i've never seen this reaction to starsan...but ill take it for sure. Guess i should RDWHAHB.

Thanks for the input!

I put starsan in my airlocks once and that made a big mess. Mainly because the bubbles (like in photo 1), don't pop as easily as water or other fluids. They just stack and stack on each other until they foam out the airlock in a non-stop flow.

Whereas I'd have tbought tbe honey may be the source of proteins that may be causing the issue, or a combo of both.........

If it doesnt smell or taste bad then just aerate it, as that has the side effect of nucleating out the dissolved CO2 a.k.a. carbonic acid that the yeast is producing.

it should, in theory, settle down.

Actually, one of the ways of removing the problem is to simmer the honey must (water and honey) then skim off any scum that forms. The problem with that is that the heating drives off/reduces VOC's and aromatics too - which is one of the main reasons a lot (including me) don't risk heating honey musts........

Whereas I'd have tbought tbe honey may be the source of proteins that may be causing the issue, or a combo of both.........

If it doesnt smell or taste bad then just aerate it, as that has the side effect of nucleating out the dissolved CO2 a.k.a. carbonic acid that the yeast is producing.

it should, in theory, settle down.

Actually, one of the ways of removing the problem is to simmer the honey must (water and honey) then skim off any scum that forms. The problem with that is that the heating drives off/reduces VOC's and aromatics too - which is one of the main reasons a lot (including me) don't risk heating honey musts........

Yeah, I dont heat the honey either more than just enough to get it out of it's container.

I know that mead and oxygen have a much better relationship post-fermentation than beer does, but nearing a month old, where there shouldn't be that much activity left, you still believe I should aerate it? And by "aerate" on this small of a scale (1 gallon), does that mean more of a brisk stir or a flip the jug and shake it? And yes, I have done the latter to a still very active mead and suffered the consequences.

Latest posts

Back