Octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkw1000

Reaction score
I live in Florida and do not have a temperature controlled refrigerator. I have an Oktoberfest in the fermenter in a swamp bath at 60°F. I am using white labs San Francisco lager yeast which I was told to use since I do not have a temp controlled refrigerator. My question is when I keg the beer this weekend should I then put it in the refrigerator after force carbonating or can I leave the carbonated keg in a closet like an ale until ready to use? When I see locker yeast I think refrigeration as soon as possible.

Thanks john.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I live in Florida and do not have a temperature controlled refrigerator. I have an Oktoberfest in the fermenter in a swamp bath at 60°F. I am using white labs San Francisco lager yeast which I was told to use since I do not have a temp controlled refrigerator. My question is when I keg the beer this weekend should I then put it in the refrigerator after force carbonating or can I leave the carbonated keg in a closet like an ale until ready to use? When I see locker yeast I think refrigeration as soon as possible.

Thanks john.

assuming you are force carbing you want that to happen cold. warm beer does not absorb co2 well so the pressure needed to achieve your target cab level is much much higher (think ~30 PSI warm v. 12 cold). If you are priming the keg with sugar to carb keep it warm (~ 70*f) for a couple weeks then cold for a few days to drop yeast and serve

Okay I understand the carbonation. Thank you. With regards to refrigerating the beer I always think if I don't have a temperature controlled refrigerator to lager the beer during fermentation, at least I can put the keg in the refrigerator once it's kegged and maybe that's better than nothing. Am I to even worry about having to or should refrigerate the keg at that point.

Okay I understand the carbonation. Thank you. With regards to refrigerating the beer I always think if I don't have a temperature controlled refrigerator to lager the beer during fermentation, at least I can put the keg in the refrigerator once it's kegged and maybe that's better than nothing. Am I to even worry about having to or should refrigerate the keg at that point.

if you can keep it cold I would. unless, as noted you are asking the yeas to continue working to carb the beer

That last sentence was horrible. It should say, should I even worry about refrigerating the keg at that point since I didn't refrigerate it during fermentation. If I had brewed an ale, I wouldn't be asking this question and it would go in a closet.

Back