Obvious signs of fermentation first 8 hrs only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal_Militia

Reaction score
So I brewed my 2nd ever beer, a stout last Thursday. The first 6-12 hours it was going crazy in the fermenter but ever since, pretty much nothing.

Is this normal or what? I did take the OG (right on point to what was in Home Brew book) and haven't taken it since, once I find some sanitizer will take another OG reading. How will I know if its good / done or not? Will 1 reading be sufficient at this point or still take 2+ ?

Thanks guys! Glad I took the OG this time bc first time I didnt.

I wouldnt touch it for at least a week or two. It could be normal depends of the yeast you use. I would just leave it be for 1-2 weeks before doing a second SG. the recipe you used should have a FG listed, if not readings that are the same over 2-3 days should confirm you are finished. either way never rush your fermentation.

finally took the reading 1.020 down from 1.062, 10 days fermenting. Guess I'll give it a few more days and one more reading. I would have figured most yeast would be used up by now?

Every batch and yeast is different. Some will fully ferment in a few days, others need 2 or more weeks. The only sure way to tell is to take some hydrometer readings and find the same reading 1-2 days apart. THEN, it's done. My AHB American wheat kit I did was down to 1.020 after 5 days, but finished up down to 1.011 after 8 more. So, be patient and use the hydrometer.

Depending on the style, 1.020 is pretty high from a starting of 1.060. My guess is you want it to dry out some more. You may want to move the carboy to a warmer place in your house. Let the temps ramp up a bit (within reason) to coax a little more work out of those guys.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I read in how to brew og should be about 20-25% lower?
Not sure what Temp its at now, probably upper 60s though. Not in any rush maybe do another reading in 3 days or so, 2 week mark.

Back