Obligatory panic thread: Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteNMA

Reaction score
Second all-grain batch this one, done to a non-proven recipe for a clone of a beer I've not had for a while (St Austell's Tribute, fact fans)

Brief recipe:
7lbs MO, 2lbs Munich 20
152F Mash 90 mins
Boil 90 mins
1oz Fuggles at 90
1/2oz each Styrian Goldings and Willamette at 15 mins
1/2oz each Styrian Goldings and Willamette for 30 mins steep at 170F
1 pack S-05, OG 1.048, FG 1.006

This had to sit in the fermenter for an extra two weeks after it sat for the first three weeks, and it got opened a couple of times around week three for gravity checks.

Opening it up to bottle, I found this:

photo.jpg

There's a hazy, oily looking sheen that sat on top of the beer that I'm pretty sure I've never seen before. Anyone know if this is a sign of trouble, I think I'm getting an off flavor in the beer but I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not now.

I've never had an infection, but the pictures I've seen of them don't look anything like that. I see similar film on top of my beers as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

Those look like rafts to me. You'll probably be okay, but the only way to know for sure is to bottle and see. But if it fermented for 3-4 weeks and that's what it looks like, I think the odds are slim its an infection.

I'm not 100% sure, it seems to have a tartness to it that it didn't have at the 3 week point, but I'm not convinced that it's not all in my head now. I was definitely expecting it to be maltier with the 2lbs Munich, but it probably just needs longer in the bottles before I can really judge.

I've been wondering about this since I bottled it, and was more wondering about the film than much else. I've not had it before and thought I'd post the picture up and see if anyone had anything to chime in with. Sounds like it's normal and I should RDWHAHB

I have these type of "films" atop my beers too. It's never caused off flavored in my beers but I'm no expert.

I have similar stuff floating on my beers. I would bottle it and wait 3-4 weeks and try it, bet you will be surprised.

Thanks HBTers, thats exactly the response I was after. Thankfully I've got an Irish Red and Double Wit to keep me busy while this one conditions.

The only time i open the fermenter is to transfer it to secondary. I wouldnt risk airborne bacteria infections by doing multiple gravity checks. If you have rapid bubbling for a day or two and then it mellows out, theres a good chance you hit your projected gravity or atleast very close. Never had a oily sheen on top. Probly fine though :)

Back