obk rims users - what thermowell you using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calgary222

Reaction score
When all was said and done, I was within $20 of buying a completed kit vs building one (mainly because of shipping to Canada), so I bought the OBK RIMS kit. It arrived last week and is a nice collection of stainless steel and with the tri-clover fittings, I feel almost professional :)

However, I didn't notice that it did not include a cap for the top - presumably because of the options regarding a thermowell. Unfortunately, they do not seem to sell a thermowell suited to their set up. There is about 5" of headspace between the top of the element and the fitting. They sell a 6" thermowell and a 3" one. My thermocouple is 4" and I have ordered a 2" one as well. Brewer's hardware has one that should work, but its going to cost me over $50USD to get it here - or, over a third the value of the rims kit... Any Canadians have a better option? OBK wasn't terribly helpful in this regard.

OR, should I get an 1.5" sanitary with a 1/2" npt and just let the thromocouple contact the wor directly... maybe removes the need for thermal paste?

Back