Oats as an Adjunct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
Did the following today:

3kg Pale
250g Crystal
500g Supermarket Whole Oats

Mashed at 62C for 90-120 minutes with enough water to submerge the grains.
Sparged with enough hot water to fill vessel.
Used 2 Oz of Fuggles in the boil.
Used Muntons Gold yeast sachet after heat transfer.

How will the oats affect the beer?

Normally, supermarket oats need to be pre-cooked, but with a two hour mash you will probably have better head retention, a smoother mouthfeel and more body.

Yeah they will make your brew cloudy, for sure. I did a pale ale with half a pound of oats the other day, and gave it a 40 min protein rest to try and beat the haze but it still looks cloudy. Can't comment on how it will taste because this is the first time I've used them :)

Really, my current batch is hazy because of the cooked rice i added to the mash.

When I used oats before (250g "Ready Break" cereal) it worked out good.

If this batch works out cloudy im gonna be pissed.

I've never heard of rice giving protien haze either, it's supposed to be almost invisible as an adjunct in terms of flavor and colour/clarity.

Oats=clouds. Send it my way if you don't want it.

:D

ok, its only been 8 days in the keg but already its clearing nicely. Just a tip for people that oats really do do the job nicely. I'll be working on my stouts though and will use powdered oats next time.

Ok I see it's slightly over a month since I did this. It's not a bad brew but it has turned out less than clear. The taste is alright though. But I just wanna conclude that oats will make the brew cloudy so it's better off left in the stouts.

Latest posts

Back