Oatmeal Stout Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyboy1012

Reaction score
hey guys,
I'm brewing an oatmeal stout tomorrow from Brewing Classic Styles. The recipe is for 5.6 gallons. Estimated OG 1.056.
9.5# Crisp Pale Ale Malt
1# Flaked Oats
12oz Chocolate Malt
12oz Victory Malt
8oz Black Barley
8oz Crystal 80

I would like some opinions on my water profile. What do you guys think? I add gypsum to the mash to bring my Ca above 50. I also add some lactic acid to the mash water to bring the mash pH to proper range because there isn't enough roasted malts to bring it down on its own. My only additions would be in the mash. Thoughts?
Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 35
Mg: 8
Na: 46
Cl: 77
SO4: 21
CaCO3: 90

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 4.06 / 5.1
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 13.0

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 2 / 0
CaCl2: 1 / 0
MgSO4: 0 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 2
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 82 / 56
Mg: 8 / 8
Na: 46 / 46
Cl: 108 / 91
SO4: 94 / 53
Cl to SO4 Ratio:
1.16 / 1.71

Alkalinity (CaCO3): -63
RA: -126
Estimated pH: 5.50
(room temp)

I'd use Camden tabs and adjust only the calcium with caso4 to above 50 ppm water looks good

I do use a camden tab to rid my tap water of chlorine. Being an oatmeal stout I definitely want that mouth feel and increased maltyness. You think cutting out the 1g of cacl2 will make a big difference?

How are you measuring your water chemistry? I'm a newer AG brewer and I need to learn how to do this.

Most people, if they can't find the info from their city, or if they're on a well, send a sample off to Ward Labs (wardlab.com). If you want to calculate additions then use something like Bru'n Water (Google it).

Most people, if they can't find the info from their city, or if they're on a well, send a sample off to Ward Labs (wardlab.com). If you want to calculate additions then use something like Bru'n Water (Google it).

With water adjustments less
Is better. Don't overdo it

That's what I did. Really simple to do. Just use an empty water bottle, take a sample of your water and send it in. If I remember right it's only about $16.

The turnaround at ward labs is fast too. They email the results.

Latest posts

Back