Oatmeal Stout stuck at 1.027...pitch another yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarGumption

Reaction score
So I made a version of the "Best Laid Plans" Oatmeal stout using Munich as the base. I ended up throwing more grain in there than the original, so my starting gravity ended up around 1.061. I pitched a nice starter of White Labs British Ale Yeast, and after about 3 weeks my gravity is stuck around 1.027. Is this an acceptable gravity for an oatmeal stout, or will it be too sweet and might it be better if I pitched some dry Nottingham or something to dry it out a little bit? When I put more grains in than the original recipe I just wasn't thinking how this would leave my final gravity so much higher...

It does taste good, but for sure on the sweet side.

Any thoughts are appreciated, this forum is a great resource.

So I made a version of the "Best Laid Plans" Oatmeal stout using Munich as the base. I ended up throwing more grain in there than the original, so my starting gravity ended up around 1.061. I pitched a nice starter of White Labs British Ale Yeast, and after about 3 weeks my gravity is stuck around 1.027. Is this an acceptable gravity for an oatmeal stout, or will it be too sweet and might it be better if I pitched some dry Nottingham or something to dry it out a little bit? When I put more grains in than the original recipe I just wasn't thinking how this would leave my final gravity so much higher...

It does taste good, but for sure on the sweet side.

Any thoughts are appreciated, this forum is a great resource.

It might be done- my oatmeal stout finishes at 1.018-1.022, but you are a bit high. Attenuation is determined in large part by the ingredients and the mash temperature, so if you used quite a few unfermentables and mashed at a high temperature (156+), it's probably done. If you used less unfermentables, and mashed at 150ish, then I'd call it stuck.

What was the recipe and mash temp?

Here's the grain bill. I did mash at about 156-158, which I now realize was a dumb idea considering the added grains and the yeast I was using...

8.60 Munich
2.00 Marris Otter
0.66 chocolate
0.66 roasted barley
1.00 flaked oats

It sounds like from what you said it's probably done. Well that's still ok, it tastes good and should be a good cold weather beer. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, with that grainbill and a mash temp of 158, I'd say it's done.

Def agreed its done. I've tried the whole pitch another yeast thing before (actually pitching onto a cake) and nothing happened... All I did was open my beer up to possible contamination, transfer it more times than needed, etc.

I'd just call it done and enjoy it as a sweet (er) oatmeal stout and mash lower next go round. In my experience, fixing beers post ferment, just isn't worth it.

On a funny side note, the keg it's fermenting in is now sitting next to a saison I just brewed with the 3711 yeast which I've heard is a monster. Suddenly the airlock on the stout was bubbling a little bit last night for the first time in a few days. Is 3711 such a monster it can permeate a carboy and a keg to get to more beer??? ;)

Or maybe my loud electric guitar playing woke it up, haha.

Well, just thought I'd post this as it could be useful for someone else using this yeast, or maybe because I used so much Munich as a base. As I said, this beer started bubbling again at about 3 weeks, after apparently stopping at about 2 weeks. It's closer to 4 weeks now, and I just took a sample and it's down to 1.022, which is almost exactly where I hoped it would go. So don't give up on this yeast! Looks like especially with a heavy grainbill, it can take a while. Cheers.

D

Back