Oatmeal Stout Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1911

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on an oatmeal stout I'm planning on brewing. I'm getting better at making my own recipes but I'm always open and looking for advice.

Recipe - Extract

OG - 1.055
FG - 1.014
IBU- 38
SRM-29
ABV-5.3%

6.6 Lbs Light LME
1.5 Lbs Flaked Oatmeal
8 oz Chocolate Malt
6 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Crystal 60

1 oz Kent Goldings @ 60 (7.2%)

Safale 04

Seems good to go for me but I am not doing a hop addition at the end of the boil in order to highlight the aroma from the grains... Made sense to me anyway... Feedback anyone?

i think your IBU's are a touch high and/or your FG is low.

if you want to rock that IBU i'd start at 1.070 and wash out around 1.022. to make it an imperial i'd adjust to 1.090 down to 1.020 and look for around 45 IBU.

campden tabs when you're 2-3 points over will shut things down enough to get you accurate to your fg or you can try lower attentuating yeast like english.

You may run into issues with 10-11% dark roasted grains depending on your mash pH and water chemistry. The dark malts tend to lower the pH and you can get astringent/metallic flavors in the wort.
Maybe someone that's got some more concrete info can weigh in on this topic.

Back