Oatmeal Stout concern (mild-to-moderate)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FattyLumpkins

Reaction score
A week ago I brewed up a BIAB batch of Oatmeal Stout. Missed estimated OG by 5-6 points (my fault; not enough water in the pot), went for a modified process with 60% of pre-boil water volume as mash water, the rest as an infusion sparge. OG was 1.043, shooting for 1.048-1.050. Not a HUGE goof, but still workable.
I brewed, pitched @ 71F. *I used hop pellets straight into the boiling wort.* After three days active fermentation was done. Gravity was 1.014. Saturday (day 4) I noticed a VERY slight hoppy bitterness aroma in the wort, which got slightly more noticeable each day. As of yesterday it was more noticeable. So I decided to sanitize a secondary and pitch the beer to get it off the trub.
My concern, and subsequent question, is... is it a good idea to secondary a malty beer after active fermentation to avoid over-hopping? Is this a legitimate concern? Thinking I will use bags for my hop additions in maltier brews from now on to avoid this.
Recipe:
Brother Brennan's Oatmeal Stout (6 U.S. Gal)
8 lbs. Maris Otter Pale
1.2 lbs. Oatmeal
1 lbs. Abbey Malt
9.6 oz. Crystal 90
9.6 oz. Chocolate Malt
9.6 oz. Roasted Barley
1 oz. U.S. Goldings 4.4 AA - 60 min.
.5 oz. U.S. Goldings 4.4 AA - 30 min.
.5 oz. U.S. Goldings 4.4 AA - 15 min.
1 tsp. Irish Moss - 10 min.
Wyeast Irish Ale

I don't think you really need to worry about it. I imagine the hoppy aroma you are getting is just from CO2 coming out of solution and carrying the hop aroma with it. I have never had any issues with leaving kettle trub in the fermenter.

Tried it for flavor when pitching... STRONG coffee and chocolate notes. A few more weeks to mellow a touch, figure four more weeks in the bottle... man, impatience is starting to kick my ass.

Tried it for flavor when pitching... STRONG coffee and chocolate notes. A few more weeks to mellow a touch, figure four more weeks in the bottle... man, impatience is starting to kick my ass.

That kind of beer gets really smooth and mellow.....in about 2 years. If you think you are impatient and need a good beer to drink, make something without the chocolate malt and roasted barley.:D

It does get much better sooner than 2 years but the longer you can wait the better it gets.:mug:

I would say that, at only 3.8% ABV, he's not going to need to wait anywhere close to two years to enjoy it. Also, the dark malts are 15% of the bill with roasted barley being only 5%.

Patience... Beer is easy to screw up when you do too much to it.

Drinking it now. Undercarbed a tad, but not flat. No head, though. At all. any good suggestions for future brews on attaining a good head with malty ales? A consistent issue I have, but not like this...
*EDIT*
Nevermind, I figured it out. On this brerw my wife cleaned my secondary with dish soap. Probably didn't get it thoroughly rinsed out. All the other issues I have had I'm attributing to either too low of a mash temp (BIAB, typically around 154F) or under-primed. Time to go get more SanStar...

Back