Oatmeal Milk Stout Braggot (First Braggot)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerolite

Reaction score
I am currently planning to brew a 5 gallon braggot (my first). It is based off of an oatmeal milk stout recipe that I have brewed and love (AHS Young's Oatmeal Stout) with some variation. Here is the recipe:

Steep at 150 degF for 20 min:
4oz Black Patent Malt
6oz Crystal 60L
8oz Flaked Oats
8oz Torrified Wheat
12oz Chocolate Malt

Boil 60 min:
8oz Panela
1lbs Lactose
4lbs Dark Liquid Extract
1.5oz East Kent Goldings Hops

Boil 15 min:
Brewvint Yeast Fuel
.25oz Glacier Hops

Yeast:
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (3L Starter) with stir plate (1.04 gravity starter)
Tolerance: 12% abv
Attenuation: 70-75%

After vigorous fermentation ends:
7lbs Local *Texas* Wildflower Honey (Love the taste of this honey) [Stroope Honey Farms, Pure, Raw, Unfiltered]. The honey is pretty clear and devoid or large solids.

Estimated OG (including honey): 1.091
Estimated FG: 1.023 (Beersmith said .995, hopefully the lactose bumps it way up from that)
I’m hoping to have it finish pretty sweet and around 9-12% abv.

The plan is to let it ferment for 4-8 weeks and then prime and bottle. I will then let it age for around a year.

Questions:
How to I mix the honey into the “must/wort” without oxidizing it?
Do you have any suggestions to the recipe? I’m not sure what to expect.
Is this technically a braggot? (not too concerned either way)
Comments? Concerns? Would love input.

In the steeping and boiling steps, is that being done separately or each step adds those ingredients?

In the steeping and boiling steps, is that being done separately or each step adds those ingredients?

Sorry, How I worded it was confusing. The steeping and boil steps are all done in the same vessel. Just adding the ingredients at different time steps.

What is your thought process in adding the honey later in primary? Not saying it is wrong just that in the few braggots I have made I've added the honey right before I pitched the yeast up front.

As far as avoiding oxidization I would just add the honey slowly to whatever primary vessel you are using, trying to minimize splashing as much as possible. No need to stir the honey in as the yeast will find those sugars and go through them no problem.

You could use a yeast with only 10% abv tolerance if you want more residual sweetness. Looks like a good recipe. I too am curious about the late addition of honey. Worried about stressing yeast or something?

Aero lite, how did this turnout? I'm adding 15 pounds of honey on a 10G batch today but mixing it in at flameout. Will kick in white wine yeast in secondary to get things fermenting a bit drier than the ale yeast can handle.

Back