Oatmal Chocolate Chip Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbutler21

Reaction score
I'm making an Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Stout inspired by the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout in the book "Make Some Beer" by the Brooklyn Beer Shop people. Here's their recipe for 1 Gallon.

1-lb 2-row
.3-lb Chocolate Malt
.3-lb Flaked Oats
.2-lb 60L Crystal

.1 oz East Kent Goldings (60min)
1 Cinnamon Stick (30min)
.2 oz East Kent Golding (15min)
1/4 cup brown sugar (0min)
1/4 cup raisins (0min)

I'd like to drop the raisins and go for more of a Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Stout. Any recommendations on adding the chocolate flavor? Will I get enough from the chocolate malt or should I add in cocoa nibs or cocoa powder? If so, how much?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

If you do powder, do about 8 oz. nibs are roughly 4oz and rack when it taste a little stronger than you want... It'll fade a little over time
Both are for 5g

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I prefer nibs over powder, although I had to add about 8oz (in 5gal) to an imperial stout to get the chocolate flavor to come through.

The recipe looks good, nice a simple. I would also hold off on spice additions until after primary fermentation. I find I get better control of the final spice flavors if I use them post-boil and post-fermentation.

Latest posts

Back