Oat-mania!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeksc07

Reaction score
I love the effect that oats have in an oatmeal stout and I was wondering whether any of you wonderful people had ever used oats in another style to get that silky mouthfeel. I was juggling the idea of doing an oat mild in my head. I can't wait to hear about all your experiments!

I put a pound of oats in DIPA this year.

90% 2 row
6% flaked oats
4% C40.

Simcoe & Amarillo for aroma and dry hop.

Really great beer and used the oats for the same reason as you.

Funnily enough I added some to my session IPA that's fermenting as we speak (we shall see how it comes out). When I use them in a darker beer, I really like to toast them in the oven first and then let them rest a couple of weeks, gives a really pleasant taste.

One of my local brewpubs posted something on Facebook about having an Oat Pale Ale. That sounded kind of intriguing, but I never got around to paying a visit and trying it. And now I can't remember which one it was... dryboroughbrewing, I'd love to hear how that turns out; I've been really itching for some malty beers recently, but I'm sure I'll be craving some nice hoppy beers soon enough.

Back