Oat beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xzarfna

Reaction score
Made this recipe as a challenge essentially and it ended up being brilliant!!

if you want to give my oat beer a go, go ahead, just be warned, its a bit tedious to do, but sooo worth it in the end!

This was my recipe: (5 UK gallon/25l batch)

2kg oats
1 pound honey
1 pound Wheat Dry extract.

For the oats - boil them to oblivion - like HOURS - This will take a lot of water - 16 litres in-fact - so get a BIG pot!

Then, add amylase - couple teaspoons worth once it has cooled and leave for 2 days covered.

Boil oats again.

Add water until the mix is very runny, runnier than gruel. This will take a lot of water again, so will require you to split the mixture to several pans to complete. Take 1/3 of the oat-slop and make it back up to 16 litres with boiling water.

bring these to the boil and leave to cool.

Strain this mixture through very fine muslin or a jelly bag, squeeze to get all liquid out but avoid as many lumpy bits getting out.

Guess what - BOIL AGAIN!

This needs to be boiled right down - back to the original 16 litres, so get all your pans going on a hob, open a previous brew and wait...

Right - thats the hard part done - now you just want to let the oat mixture cool and add to your FV.

Get a pan of water boiling - just a couple litres, and add your dry wheat extract - while thats boiling throw in a hop bag of whatever you want really - personally i used 25g of Cascade and 25g of Galaxy for 25min in the boil.

Let this mix cool and add to the FV.

Add your honey to the FV, top it up to around 25l with cold water and add your yeast (I used US-04) once it reaches the room temp!

Leave for 7-10 days bubbling away, bottle and keep for 3 weeks warm and a week in the cold - DONE! XD

hope people see this and like it

Just done one myself, used up some spare hops I had. Used dark brown soft sugar, and a 1lb of treacle, plus 1kg of malted oats. It was only an Imperial/British 3 gallon. But I added Fuggles, Citra, tetenang and Galaxy. Bottled up 6 bottles already, then dry hopped the rest with Citra. Going to bottle it up tomorrow.

image-507889573.jpg

image-1461635335.jpg

looks gorgeous!
mine was nowhere near that look tho lol, being nearly entirely oat, it was still very cloudy - looked like a milky wheatbeer hehe

Yeah, it's real tasty, man. Going to leave it a few more weeks, or maybe a month or so in the bottle. Then it might have a good head on it. Totally something I will try again but next time I may use Golden Syrup instead of treacle. But keep the dark brown sugar.

Back