Oaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James0816

Reaction score
For some reason, I cannot find the search option.

Has anyone oaked a good cider? Details if so.

omg...brain dead. upper right hand corner. DOH!

Question still here while i look.

Yup. I’ve used the French oak cubes in secondary. Works great. You can steam them or a soak them in starsan prior to using. I go with maybe 20 cubes per 5 gallon. Just don’t add too many. Otherwise your cider can taste like wet cardboard.

Oak works well with cider 2 oz med toast in 5 gallons for 5 to 21 days place in a sanitized mesh bag with a couple of marbles. Check every day after 5 - 7 days until uou get the flavor profile you prefer. Rack and remove the oak.

Oak works well with cider 2 oz med toast in 5 gallons for 5 to 21 days place in a sanitized mesh bag with a couple of marbles. Check every day after 5 - 7 days until uou get the flavor profile you prefer. Rack and remove the oak.
I take it that you are adding oak during secondary? Do you rack a third time after you get the flavaor from the oak for aging?

Back