Oak spriral

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramerica

Reaction score
Looking for a little help from anyone who has used an oak spiral. I purchased an oak spiral with medium plus toast from farmhouse brewing. Planning on doing a English bitter and then age it on the spiral. How long would you recommend letting the spiral sit in the secondary? I'm looking for the oak aroma and a light taste of oak in the beer, nothing overwhelming. If anyone has had Two Brothers Long Haul Session Ale, that's kinda what I'm shooting for.

full extract is suppose to be in 6 weeks. Ive had the same spiral in for about month and its just now becoming oaky if you will. I would say a minimum of 2 weeks then start sampling from there.

Alright, spiral going into secondary tomorrow. Do I soak in a sanitized or vodka? I guess I'll take samples as it goes along and checkmate level of favor.

at this point I would steam it. You probably do not have enough time to sanitize with spirits because it woud not soak into the inner parts of the oak to sanitize properly.

Updated, Oaked beer turned out great. Secondaried for four weeks. As a side note: I have learned that after fermenting, let the oak spiral dry before putting away on storage. I had planned on keeping the spiral for a future batch and I stuffed it in a sandwich bag after two days. The inside of the spiral was obviously not dry because I found mold growing shortly after.

the flavor wodul ahve been fully extracted already, no need to keep those. If the package is sealed from the facotry (airtight) you can use without steaming, though I bet that doesn't hurt at all.

Back