Oak chips strong tannin/bitterness flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurlingBrew

Reaction score
I recently followed for recipe for a brown ale that called for a 1oz of French oak chips toasted in the oven at 325f for 10 minutes. Smelled delicious, buttery vanilla like aromas, needless to say I was very excited thinking this was truly going to provide an interesting characteristic to my beer. Soaked in my beer for 1 week I ended with a tannin, sweet bitterness In which I am contributing to the chips. Drinkable, but not very pleasant. Anybody experience something similar, perhaps it will fade in time and mellow out?

Oak contains a lot of tannins, and high temperatures or high ph can extract polyphenols, strong astringent flavors. Did the chips burn around the edges? Most likely it will mellow over time, like a fine whiskey or wine.

So, and I'm not sure where I originally heard this, but I've always boiled my oak chips in water for 15 minutes (discarding the water) before adding to a brew, because I heard that just adding the chips could add a harsh tannic bitterness.

I've done this on several recipes and (2 oz chips per 5-gallons for 2 weeks) still received a huge flavor contribution from the chips, with no apparent added bitterness or harshness.

Oak contains a lot of tannins, and high temperatures or high ph can extract polyphenols, strong astringent flavors. Did the chips burn around the edges? Most likely it will mellow over time, like a fine whiskey or wine.

I don't recall any burning, all I remember thinking was how great the aroma was while baking them. Really hoping it mellows out. How long do you think that might take?? Best guess...

So, and I'm not sure where I originally heard this, but I've always boiled my oak chips in water for 15 minutes (discarding the water) before adding to a brew, because I heard that just adding the chips could add a harsh tannic bitterness.

I've done this on several recipes and (2 oz chips per 5-gallons for 2 weeks) still received a huge flavor contribution from the chips, with no apparent added bitterness or harshness.

The more I read the more I realize I should have boiled them first despite what the recipe instructions called for. Won't make that mistake twice.

Latest posts

Back