Oak Chips in a Sour Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucianthorr

Reaction score
I've been fermenting a Saison with White Lab's American Farmhouse yeast, which, from what I understand, is a saison/brett blend. It's my first time brewing with it.
I've also got this bag of oak chips lying around so I was thinking of throwing that in there to see what happens but I keep going back and forth on how to go about it so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys think.

The beer's been in a conical for about six weeks. It just barely tastes like the souring has started so I'll probably give it another two weeks.

So to me, I've got three choices
1. throw the bag of oak chips into the fermenter.
2. throw the bag of oak chips into a keg and transfer the beer on top. (free up the keg for another brew!)
3. Throw the oak chips into the grill because they suck for brewing.

If I did throw them into the beer, I was thinking 4oz for a 5 gallon batch?

First off, brett does not make a beer sour. If you are looking for a sour beer then you need lacto, pedio.

Also brett works slowly so you will need more time for the brett flavors to fully form. I usually give brett beers at least four months.

I have never done oak in a saison, so I am not sure what you could expect. I have done oaked sours though and they are good. I prefer cubes or spirals for oaking. You get a more nuanced flavor. Chips can be pretty harsh. If you do add oak err on the side of too little. Oak can be overpowering.

If it was my beer i would just give the brett time to work and let it go at that.

That's almost embarrassing.
White Labs describes the yeast as containing 'moderate levels of sourness' so I just assumed that was referring to the brett's contribution.

So maybe I'll just give it another couple months before even thinking about the oak chips.

Brett may add a very soight tartness. Just give your brew rime for the brett to work and I think you will like it. I add brett to about 3/4 of the saiosns I brew. It is a good match.

Back