Oak Chip sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_trout

Reaction score
pretty straight forward question. whats the best way to sanitize these? can I just hit them with some starsan or is there a better method?

Soak'em in a lil vodka for a few days. Then pour all through a hop sock into secondary,tie off & drop it in. Rack finished beer over that. Let it sit a week & try a sample. You can also boil them in a little water for a few minutes,cool,& use the same way.

Boiling them softens the oak character and removes tannins
I would soak in a dark liquor of yur choice. Nothing lives in spirits.

Yeah,that's what I usually do. But if they're boiled,you'd still add the liquid as well,just like with liquor. The oak resins soak out as the chips soak up the liquor. So I use both.

if you want a sweeter product you could do brandy as well. This works really well with a lot of stouts.

Me too,every now & then when I need some for brewing. Helps me remember pop,who used to buy me a 5th of Beam's Choice for my birthday. I always tried to have some fresh bass & fries ready to go with it. :rockin:

Back