Oak Barrel Question - How long do they last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
How many times can you re-use oak barrels? I have a friend who said he could get some 5 gallon Oak barrels for around $60 each. This would be awesome if I knew I could use the multiple times. If they are only good for one or two batches then it isn't worth it to me. Anyone know about barrels and how many times they can be used?

Don't ever let it dry out and it should last a long time. It will impart less and less oak flavoring over time and also it will impart the flavors of previous brews. Also, if you're into wild brews or sours the barrel will be inoculated with those bugs indefinitely.

Basically, everything said above.

To add to it, I've used mine for about 7 batches over the last two years. It has never been allowed to dry out. My friend just recently ran some brett through it, and I plan on doing something with lactobacillus next.

It's still there, just more subtle. The whiskey is almost all gone, but even that is hanging around a little bit. We ran some really big beers through this thing too. The next one I put in will be either a porter or a brown ale and I plan on leaving it in for a few months.

Is there any way to add more oakey flavor back to a barrel? I know you can add the bourbon flavor by storing it with bourbon in it when you aren't using it, but is there any way to retrieve those wood properties or once they are gone they are gone? Someone said to scorch the inside with a butane type lighter to give that burnt flavor.

It will be dozens of batches before you notice the wood flavor gone. After 9 mine still gives plenty of oak flavor and aroma. I only use it for a few weeks at most currently.

If you need to, you can just add some oak spindles or chips to the batch. I really doubt you will though.

For a well-used barrel that might not be contributing much flavor, I was wondering if after allowing the barrel to dry a bit, then hitting the inside with an angle grinder (or even an electric drill) outfitted with some really coarse sandpaper on a backing disk, would bring fresh oak to the surface?

You'd have to rehydrate the barrel afterwards, of course, but that isn't difficult. Compared to retiring the barrel, I'd think the effort would be worth it...

fwiw, I was at the Boston Beer brewery yesterday and they were trialing a new brew that was oaked pretty nicely, using chips. That technique now on my "gotta try that" list :)

Cheers!

For a well-used barrel that might not be contributing much flavor, I was wondering if after allowing the barrel to dry a bit, then hitting the inside with an angle grinder (or even an electric drill) outfitted with some really coarse sandpaper on a backing disk, would bring fresh oak to the surface?

You'd have to rehydrate the barrel afterwards, of course, but that isn't difficult. Compared to retiring the barrel, I'd think the effort would be worth it...

Cheers!

It would be much easier just to toss an ounce or two of oak cubes/chips back into the barrel along with the beer if you're not getting the wood flavor you desire.

I got several good batches out of my 5.5 gallon and once the bourbon and wood flavor started to fade I set it on the funky train in preparation for making it a lambic barrel.

-chuck

Back