Oak Barrel Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrelbrewster

Reaction score
Does anyone know of beers that are fermented and aged in oak barrels? I know there are several breweries and brewpubs that work with aging in retired whisky or wine barrels but I am interested in ones using new barrels for the full process much like they did long ago. (Or anyone who has tried it at home.)

I have access to some new American Oak barrels and would like to re-create an ale the historical way.

Not sure about the historical portion but doing a barley wine, a stout, or a porter would go fine with a nice oak flavor. If the barrel is new just be careful the oak doesn't over power everything else. As it is used it will take longer for the true flavor to come through.

I am not speaking from fermenting in the barrel experience. Just from my general knowledge of the use of Oak Barrels in alcohol in general. The reason oak barrels are charred before the liquid is put into them is two primary reasons. The first and foremost is flavor nodes and color. The second and maybe most important is to seal the barrel. When making whiskey there is what is known as "the angel's share". This is the amount of the liquid that is soaked into the wood and evaporated. Without the charring this would be exponentially increased and result in a lesser quality color and flavor as well as a major increase in the angel's share.

Hope that sheds some light on your decision.

I would not use a new barrel for the full process, it will be way too much oak character. New barrels impart character very quickly. If you are talking about 5gal barrels, I wouldn't go over a week. I would also not recommend fermenting in the barrel to begin with, poor yield, messier & much harder to clean than a bucket/carboy.

Thanks all. You've given me some points to think about. I'm going to try it out and see. I have the barrel and am thirsty so, why not. :)

Back