Oak aged black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
Memorial Day morning is the perfect day to brew up an oak aged black IPA! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401113662.309227.jpg
Anyone else brewing today?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Aging IPA's was a common English practice. Even here in the US, Ballantine IPA was barrel aged for a full year. Not something to do with hop forward American IPA's, but still a great way to make a traditional brew.

I know aging an IPA will dissipate some of the hop flavor but I'm not exactly "aging" it. It's more of an experimental brew. After primary fermentation I'm going to add oak cubes I soaked in whiskey. From my research it'll impart flavor very quickly so it won't be aged all that long.

I have aged a few IPAs on oak chips for a week and they were great.
Despite what you may think, the oak is very complimentary and the upside of oak chips against oak cubes is that they work much quicker.

I chose cubes because I was a little intimidated with using oak as some people said it quickly overpowered their beer. I read that chips worked very quickly so I thought cubes would be a more modest approach for my first attempt. Did you soak your chips in bourbon or some form of alcohol? I'm wondering if I should add the few ounces of whiskey I soaked them in or drain it off.

No soaking here.
I just boiled them for a few minutes,tipped out the now brown water,topped up and went for it again.
That way you tend to get the most brutal part of the profile out. But you still need to check it every two days to be able to bottle when the desired oak level has been reached.

Go for it! I love DFH's Burton Baton, a blend of an Imperial IPA and English Old Ale blended and aged in oak barrels. I recently made a Belgian IPA I aged on oak chips. I really enjoyed it. But yes, be careful if you decide to use chips. They only need a few days to impart a lot of flavor. Cubes are said to take longer, but I have no experience with them. I've used chips 4x now and am starting to learn only and ounce or so for only a few days is very noticeable. My SOP is to soak in alcohol (vodka for no added flavor or bourbon/whiskey if I want to impart flavor) for a day or so. I only use enough to just barely cover the chips in a mason jar. No more than a few ounces.

Go for it! I love DFH's Burton Baton, a blend of an Imperial IPA and English Old Ale blended and aged in oak barrels. I recently made a Belgian IPA I aged on oak chips. I really enjoyed it. But yes, be careful if you decide to use chips. They only need a few days to impart a lot of flavor. Cubes are said to take longer, but I have no experience with them. I've used chips 4x now and am starting to learn only and ounce or so for only a few days is very noticeable. My SOP is to soak in alcohol (vodka for no added flavor or bourbon/whiskey if I want to impart flavor) for a day or so. I only use enough to just barely cover the chips in a mason jar. No more than a few ounces.

The burton baton is sort of my inspiration to try oak out. I love that beer. I'm soaking my cubes in whiskey now. Just a few ounces to cover them. Do you add the bourbon and all to your beer? I've read mixed reviews. Some drain the excess and just add the cubes some dump it all in

The burton baton is sort of my inspiration to try oak out. I love that beer. I'm soaking my cubes in whiskey now. Just a few ounces to cover them. Do you add the bourbon and all to your beer? I've read mixed reviews. Some drain the excess and just add the cubes some dump it all in

I dump it all in. It's only a few ounces and I believe the alcohol has been soaking in oak as much as the oak has been soaking in alcohol, know what I mean? I feel like I'd be dumping out good oak flavor when dumping the booze. Toss it all in and see for yourself.

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. The whiskey looks very dark! I was afraid if I didn't add it there wouldn't be any oak flavor

hmmm, I made a very popular american brown this past weekend that I'm gonna oak/bourbon age. I looked at the recipe for a porter which called for 1oz cubes and 16oz maker's mark for 2 months. Since I do 3 gallons I was gonna drop the bourbon down to 10oz. I put 4oz bourbon (no oak) in one before and could hardly taste it. I read somewhere that a good place to start with bourboning is to add .025 X batch qty.

Sputnan let us know how it goes

i just did the first sample today out of the warm keg. The amount of bourbon is great and the oak is fine as well. So, 0.025 X batch qty. I say is the perfect amount to add. I am pleased enough with this beer that I'll be taking it to Oktoberfest at the end of Sept.

Latest posts

Back