O2 Stone AND Stir Plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungusBrews

Reaction score
I just picked up a stir plate and was planning on making a starter using it. My question is...should I use an O2 stone with an O2 tank for aeration and then let the starter sit on the stir plate? Can I skip the O2 stone and assume the stir plate will do the job?

Thanks,
Karl

The plate alone will do the job, but you still need to aerate/oxygenate the starter wort, so hit it with some o2 for a few seconds before putting it on the plate, or put it on the plate and hit it with some o2, which ever you want.

As long as you are using the plate and using some o2 you will be good.:D

hmm...so it seems I can do either. Depends on how ambitious I am feeling I guess =)

I dont aerate my starter wort either... my last stir plate starter went from 1.050 to 1.011 in 16 hours.:ban:

From http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.htm
Q: Should I add oxygen to my starter?

Yes. You’ll get far healthier yeast and far more yeast growth if the yeast have oxygen throughout the process. Adding oxygen at the beginning helps, but the most effective starters provide a continuous source of oxygen. Oxygen is critical to yeast growth. Not providing any oxygen to the yeast can have a long-term negative impact on yeast health. Yeast use oxygen to synthesize unsaturated fatty acids and sterols, which are critical to creating a healthy cell membrane and good cell growth. With oxygen present, yeast convert sugar to carbon dioxide and water and they grow rapidly. With no oxygen, yeast create alcohol, grow far more slowly, and reach a lower total mass of cells.

There are several ways to add oxygen: intermittent shaking, a stir plate, pure oxygen, or an air pump with a sterile filter.

A stir plate is perhaps the most effective method. When using a stir plate, don’t plug up the starter vessel with an airlock. A sanitary piece of aluminum foil or a breathable foam stopper is all you need. Bacteria and wild yeast can’t crawl and a loose fitting cover will allow for better gas exchange.

Shaking the starter as much as possible, every hour or two, makes a large difference in the amount of yeast growth and health. With enough attention and good air exchange, shaking is just about as effective as a stir plate.

Continuous air from a pump and sterile filter can be effective too. The major drawbacks are being able to control the flow of air to prevent excessive foaming and evaporation of the starter. Shaking is just as effective as intermittent aeration with a pump.

Continuous pure oxygen from a tank or oxygen generator is both expensive and unnecessary.

It might be "unnecessary", but I have been doing both for about a year, and my fermentations start like a rocket. Any edge I can give my yeast is a good investment.

I bought a used oxygen cylinder from a neighbor, and I'm using the regulator from my cutting torch to feed the stone.

It might be "unnecessary", but I have been doing both for about a year, and my fermentations start like a rocket. Any edge I can give my yeast is a good investment.

I bought a used oxygen cylinder from a neighbor, and I'm using the regulator from my cutting torch to feed the stone.

You put the O2 stone in your stir plate starter?

Thanks for the insight guys. I made a 2L starter on Friday and didn't use the O2 stone, just the stir plate. The starter was done within 24 hours. I pitched the whole thing to a 10 gal 1.068 batch last night and there was already krausen this am. Stir plates Rock! Next time I will use the O2 stone and the stir plate and see if I get different results. I suspect the starter might just finish earlier.

Latest posts

Back