O.G question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Hey,
Ive just Mashed, hopped and cooled an American IPA. http://www.bryggselv.no/products/american-ipa-allgrain-lsett-25l
Its in Norwegian but Google chrome will autotranslate.

It states the O.G should be 1.067 but I took a reading and its 1.076. Now, the All Grain Kit is designed for 25 liters and my Carboy only holds 23 liters so the wort is more concentrated (by 2 liters) But I dont this is enough to raise the O.G that much. Im using the BITB technique. Could small particles of the grains be giving me a false reading?

Cheers! :)

Small particles don't affect gravity - only dissolved materials do. Best way to remember this: boats don't make water more dense ;).

And two liters is not trivial. You have about 10% less space in your fermenter and your density is about 10% high. Pretty spot on, IMHO.

I wouldn't worry about it. It is what it is and I'm certain you will have beer soon.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I'll keep that in mind for sure!

So I guess I got the extraction right? :) I think next time I'll make the 25ltrs and either discard the remaining two or ferment in a smaller vessel. Will the added weight cause any issues or cause the IPA to taste significantly different? It was originally meant to be 6.7%

trigger_andy said:
Thanks for the reply and advice. I'll keep that in mind for sure! So I guess I got the extraction right? :) I think next time I'll make the 25ltrs and either discard the remaining two or ferment in a smaller vessel. Will the added weight cause any issues or cause the IPA to taste significantly different? It was originally meant to be 6.7%

Maybe a little, but I wouldn't worry about it. It will be maybe an extra 1% ABV and maybe a little less hoppy.

Umm. Let me think.

I said that because you get less hops utilization with a smaller boil. But since you also have a smaller final volume, maybe it cancels out? I guess I never really thought about it. It is more cut and dry when people do a small boil and top off with water.

I guess my final answer is that I don't know. Sorry.

Again, you made beer and I'm sure it will be good. Nothing to worry about.

Many thanks!

The local brew shop recommended this IPA as it's more hoppy than a UK UPA. So even if it's not so hoppy it should still be good!

I made an Oatmeal Stout yesterday. Really getting into this ( 7th brew since October) lots of fun and learning all the time. :)

Back