Nutrient to starter AND boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairdo

Reaction score
Hi,

It's probably an easy one but.. I've entered the world of yeast starters and wondering if I add nutrients to the starter would I not need to add it to the boil? or perhaps it makes no difference if I do..?

Cheers

Adding the nutrient to the boil for your starter wort would remove a chance of infection.

edit: I read the post, but not the title to well.

I am interested to see where this goes, so subbing...but I want to guess an answer

I think the nutrient will be consumed in the starter - it may accelerate the process of building up the volume of yeast, but won't result in more yeast being produced. It just gets you there quicker. But because of the volume of what you are working with, its not critical. Once the starter is done, you will have a good volume of yeast, but it won't have nutrient in it because its being consumed.

Whereas if you put the nutrient in the wort, it will help kick off the fermentation a lot quicker and gets you a much better/healthier ferment than if its not present. At that volume the nutrient makes a big difference to the fermentation - gets the momentum up and the beer to FG quicker.

So I think its better from a fermentation perspective to throw the nutrient in the wort while its cooking, also less risk of infection that way (although you can boil it up before putting it in the starter).

Even when I use a lot of yeast (when recycling), there is a notable difference in the speed and health of the fermentation between when i add nutrient and don't.

I use it in both, the amount needed for a 4L starter is pretty small and wyeast nutrient is cheap. Most of my starters kick off in less than 8 hours on a stirplate.

I just throw a pinch in the starter wort - I've never put it in the boil.

I put a pitch in the starter then 1/2tsp in the boil. I use the whitelabs stuff.

You can also added some 12 hours or so after pitching but you only need that for big beers

I only add it to the starter. My logic is that the yeast is going to be least viable when I am making a starter (possibly in the fridge for several months). I could probably add it to the boil, too. Especially considering how cheap a 1 lb bag of generic nutrient is. I don't mostly due to laziness / me usually being pretty drunk by the end of my boil. I'm more concerned with adding hops and whatnot.

Back