NutriChef System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidabcd

Detroit, Mi.
Reaction score
Hello. Does this system, described below, carbonate in the keg? That means no priming sugar? I'm pretty sure it goes right from the fermenter after it's done. but not sure enough to give my nephew advice on it.
Thank you very much.

"NutriChef Pressurized Growler Tap System - Stainless Steel Mini Keg Dispenser Portable Kegerator Kit - Co2 Pressure Regulator Keeps Carbonation for Craft Beer, Draft and Homebrew - PKBRTP100.5 (128oz)"

https://nutrichefkitchen.com/products/pkbrtp100-5

You'll need to use two cartridges; one to carb the beer and another to maintain pressure. Can get pretty expensive, IMHO.

I've been thinking about trying one of these little portable setups, though I would buy a second lid with a ball lock gas post for force-carbing, then switch to the lid with faucet and CO2 cartridge for serving.

Looks like it, when using a disposable mini cartridge.
"Standard Threaded CO2 Cartridge Compatibility (Not included)"

Now you probably should carbonate with a regular tank in a regular keg, then transfer the carbonated beer. That way the mini cart can be used to keep the beer carbonated and dispense it. Those mini carts are pricey! One won't carbonate a gallon of beer.

Theoretically you could carbonate in it, but it would use a few of those cartridges. They're really design to dispense carbonated beer.

You'll need to use two cartridges; one to carb the beer and another to maintain pressure. Can get pretty expensive, IMHO.

I've been thinking about trying one of these little portable setups, though I would buy a second lid with a ball lock gas post for force-carbing, then switch to the lid with faucet and CO2 cartridge for serving.

I was thinking the same thing. The mini regulator looks like a compression fitting. If you could convert both the over to flare fittings, then you could carbonate off a bigger tank. It looks like it's a rebranded ManCan. If you used one of the knock-off ball lock lids (like this one), you could either carbonate or do a closed transfer.

Looks like it, when using a disposable mini cartridge.
"Standard Threaded CO2 Cartridge Compatibility (Not included)"
Now you probably should carbonate with a regular tank in a regular keg, then transfer the carbonated beer. That way the mini cart can be used to keep the beer carbonated and dispense it. Those mini carts are pricey! One won't carbonate a gallon of beer.
The nephew has only the described kit. It's a good idea but he has no equipment and won't get into proper kegging.
Here are the options after reading the few posts.
1. Carbonate with sugar in the keg since it's sealed and then just use the CO2 to keep it that way.
2. Buy enough of the small CO2s to carbonate (no priming sugar).

The nephew has only the described kit. It's a good idea but he has no equipment and won't get into proper kegging.
Here are the options after reading the few posts.
1. Carbonate with sugar in the keg since it's sealed and then just use the CO2 to keep it that way.
2. Buy enough of the small CO2s to carbonate (no priming sugar).
3. Get a (larger) paintball tank and a suitable adapter.
4. Start harvesting fermentation CO2 in a keg or some other suitable container. Then fill it with tap water to compress it. Voila!

3. Get a (larger) paintball tank and a suitable adapter.
4. Start harvesting fermentation CO2 in a keg or some other suitable container. Then fill it with tap water to compress it. Voila!
Do you think the first two will work though?
Yes, #3 and #4 are good/great ideas but he's not on par with additional actions or the skill to carry them out. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
Thanks.

Do you think the first two will work though?
Yes, #3 and #4 are good/great ideas but he's not on par with additional actions or the skill to carry them out. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
Thanks.
I think #1 and #2 will work, but are not the best solution if the technical skills or desire for additional actions are not present. If the nephew is making his own beer and doesn't desire to bottle, and won't get to kegging. I think it would make more sense to use a 5L mini kegs, naturally carbonate, use a mini regulator to maintain pressure. There are several threads about them on here.

A second opinion... In my early days of brewing before I got a proper kegging setup, I used the Tap-A-Draft system. It's a 5L plastic vessel with a special cap that has an integrated 16g CO2 cartridge, much like these newer stainless gadgets.

You can absolutely carbonate and serve with just the cartridges. You'll need one cartridge for each purpose. So that's 2 per batch. With only one gallon, I'm betting it will carbonate with the first cartridge and serve a decent amount too, before requiring a new one. I bought the cartridges in bulk from Amazon, and I still have a pile of them left over.

A second opinion... In my early days of brewing before I got a proper kegging setup, I used the Tap-A-Draft system. It's a 5L plastic vessel with a special cap that has an integrated 16g CO2 cartridge, much like these newer stainless gadgets.

You can absolutely carbonate and serve with just the cartridges. You'll need one cartridge for each purpose. So that's 2 per batch. With only one gallon, I'm betting it will carbonate with the first cartridge and serve a decent amount too, before requiring a new one. I bought the cartridges in bulk from Amazon, and I still have a pile of them left over.
Unfortunately Tap-a-draft is no longer being produced.

There is the party star tap system for the little 5l mini kegs that incorporate the cartridge and faucet together

Back