Nut Brown Christmas Cookie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mabus

Reaction score
Got the NB Nut Brown extract kit (with steeping grains) and thought I'd doctor it up a bit. I'm going for something to store away somewhere til the holidays. I want it to be a little malty sweet with kind of a oatmeal cookie or fruitcake vibe. Here's what I came up with ("Recipe does not conform to style" lol):

NAME AMOUNT USE PPG
Maris Otter 1.0 lb 11 % Mash 35
Oats, Flaked 0.5 lb 5 % Mash 37
Belgian Special B 0.25 lb 2 % Mash 33
Breiss Special Roast 0.25 lb 2 % Mash 34
Belgian Biscuit 0.25 lb 2 % Mash 34
English Chocolate Malt 0.25 lb 2 % Mash 32
Maris Otter LME 6.0 lb 66 % Late Boil 37
Brown Sugar, Light 8.0 oz 5 % Late Boil 46

Hops

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE FORM AA
Fuggle Great Britain 1.0 oz 60 min First Wort Pellet 4.8%

Extras

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE
Cinnamon Sticks 1.0 oz 14.0 days Primary
Raisins 12.0 oz 5.0 days Secondary
Irish Moss 1 tsp 15 mins Boil
1.062 OG
1.016 FG
16 IBU
6.0% ABV
17 SRM
0.25 IBU/OG
Sweet

I plan on fermenting over about half the yeast cake from a Caribou Slobber batch. The yeast is Windsor Ale yeast. The kit came with Nottingham but from what I've read that can dry it out some and I'm getting ready to put the CS in secondary anyway.

I plan on mashing the grains for 60-90 minutes at ~150-152F, sparge and add the Fuggles. I thought I'd throw a cinnamon stick in at flame out. With the raisins, I'm going to soak them in some Capt Morgan Black and either puree them with the Capt or chop & fry them on high heat and deglaze with some of the wort. Either way, I'm going to rack over them into the secondary.

I'm not looking for a lot of hop presence here, but I do have an ounce of Willamette if anyone thinks that could add to the party. Not sure when/how to add it tho (flavor/aroma/dry hop or a combo)

Of course I'll have to sample some from time to time for quality control purposes :mug: but I want to save at least a case of bottles to hand out at the Christmas party if it turns out as I hope.

Back