British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have answered some of my own questions regarding substituting when I found this info. Does it look good?

LME to DME = LME times .8 (6.6 LME * .8 = 5.28 DME)
DME to LME = DME times 1.25 (5.28 DME * 1.25 = 6.6 LME)
DME to Base Grains = DME times 1.67 (6 DME * 1.67 = 10 Base Grains) assuming 75% efficiency

Grain to extract substitution chart

Pounds of Pounds of Extract

Grain Liquid Dry

1.0 0.75 0.6
1.5 1.13 0.9
2.0 1.50 1.2
2.5 1.88 1.5
3.0 2.25 1.8
3.5 2.63 2.1
4.0 3.00 2.4
4.5 3.38 2.7
5.0 3.75 3.0
5.5 4.13 3.3
6.0 4.50 3.6
6.5 4.88 3.9
7.0 5.25 4.2
7.5 5.63 4.5
8.0 6.00 4.8
8.5 6.38 5.1
9.0 6.75 5.4
9.5 7.13 5.7
10.0 7.50 6.0

Just tapped this keg yesterday. Very please with the result

Nutty, smooth, foamy head with lacing all the way, Deep amber-brown color.
Malty with a slight residual sweetness

Thanks to Lil Sparky for sharing his creation.

Changed the yeast to WYeast NB1945, fermented at the cooler end of this strain's range.

Reduced the grain bill to account for projected efficiency higher than the recipe's 70%

I will be brewing this today using NB1945, LOVE that yeast!
Great looking pics btw

Brewed a 10 gallon batch of this on 1/3/15. Kegged it last week, and started drinking it today. This is my first nut brown, and I am VERY happy with the taste.

Brewed this up 8 days ago on 02/14/15. Took a gravity reading tonight and the sample is tasting amazing! Can't wait to get this one bottles and carbed up.

I brewed 10 gallons of this a while back. 5gal was fermented with danstar Windsor ale yeast - I won't be doing that again. I think I'm actually pouring that 5 gallons down the drain.

The other 5 gallons was fermented with wyeast's London ale yeast (1028 I think) and it was great. Took the full 5 gal keg to a party of 15-20 people and it was gone in a matter of hours despite a crowd that usually prefers wine. I'll be making this again for sure.

What was the problem with the Windsor yeast? I used it and it was tasty. Did you get an infection?

I think I did get a "mild" infection (if that even makes sense) and I don't know why - this was the only one I've ever had and I treated that batch exactly the same as the others.

But on top of that it under attenuated and had such a poor flocculation I had to put samples in the fridge for 3 days to keep the yeast from dominating the flavor (I can't cold crash carboys). I understand these are expected qualities of this yeast (didn't do my research before dumping it in) and they don't suit my preferences. I'm sure you could make a good beer with that yeast and this recipe, I just won't be trying again..

I'm going to go ahead and keg it up, chill, carb, and add some gelatin to see how the "final" beer tastes. If I think I can salvage it (maybe add wood, or even transfer onto some souring microbes) I may try, but right now I don't have much hope for it.

Well I went to keg up my Windsor batch and that "mild" infection I had a month ago is...
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425237930.445324.jpg
Not so mild anymore. Still no idea how this happened. I love the idea of souring this recipe, but I doubt my local microbes are the right ones for the job.

Anyone know if there is any risk in trying this? Edit: Never mind - I forgot one of the main selling points of beer over the years is that it's always safe to drink...

Not much of this will I be giving away.It is only 2.5 weeks old and I love it.Brewing another batch this weekend because this won't last long.

I'm trying to plan this brew to coincide with my family visiting and wondered how many weeks the flavors come together best. I was planning on a 3 week primary and two to three weeks in keg.
Does this sound right?
Thanks

I did a 2 week primary and 3-4 week condition in keg. Tastes better the longer it conditions. But it was damn delicious.

I have made one batch of this, which I bottled on 26 March 2014...and I have one bottle left. The last one I had was superb - which was a few weeks ago, the beer was more than 10 months old.

Great thanks.
One other question... Do you think
1469 West Yorkshire yeast would work well with this beer? I have some I need to use up.

Putting this on my list of "to brews."

What liquid yeast can I sub for the nottingham?

I have made it with both WLP002 and WLP013. Both are outstanding but I give the edge to 013 for my preference

I have a batch of this in my fermenter now and I used WLP013. However, my opened bags of hops were a little short. I only had .8 oz of each instead of a full onces...

I think that I'll try the Wyeast 1028 London as that's what I have on hand.

Just brewed it with BIAB.

I swapped out both hops for US Golding and used Wyeast London Ale.

Ended with an SG of 1.061 :rockin: I think I mashed with just a little bit more water than what was required but only about 1/4 gallon or so. We'll see what the FG ends at.

I brewed a batch of this and was kinda underwhelmed. It seemed a little one note. Not much complexity to it at all. I don't think I have the patience to let it age enough. Or maybe I'm just not a malty beer kind a guy?? So I decided to change it up a bit.

I went to Kroger and picked up a bag of unsweetened flaked coconut. Roasted it in the oven, stuck it in a sanitized hop sack with a couple of stainless lock nuts, and dropped it in the keg.

I call it; Almond Joyous...

Home brewing is awesome!

:mug:

Alright so after a month in the primary I kegged this the other day. Put it on 30psi for 36 hours and then on 12. This morning is when I put it on 12. I just now poured my first glass. It tastes awesome!

Again I used US Golding for the hops but I doubt that makes much difference. I also used Wyeast London Ale. That London Ale is turning out to be one of my favorites. I truly enjoy it in every beer I've used it in. Mainly IPAs and now this brown.

I brewed this as my 3rd all grain brew, and I plan to do so again this weekend. I'm turning this into a Peanut Butter Nut Brown! Anyone tried anything like this with this beer yet?

Don't have Victory, can I sub with say Biscuit? If so, I guess I'd need to reduce it somewhat?

so, i am sure this is a rookie question, but being a rookie, i have to ask: why 7 days in primary and then 14 in secondary? is this usual for this type of beer?

for a rookie like me, this is probably another opportunity for me to possibly infect this batch. although i do practice very stringent sanitation practices. i brewed this last weekend so i will be transferring to secondary this weekend. i only have 6.5 gallon buckets, okay to secondary in those? i need to get a carboy.

i re hydrated the yeast and this was by far and away the most active fermentation i have had (ive brewed 4 batches total).

I don't secondary any batch unless I'm dryhopping or adding fruit/wood. Just leave it in primary until you are ready to package.

Sorry I don't see it anywhere

Are you on mobile? I just noticed it cut a fair amount of stuff on mobile. Here you go:

Recipe Type:*All Grain
Yeast:*Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons):*5.5
Original Gravity:*1.054
Final Gravity:*1.012
IBU:*22.7
Boiling Time (Minutes):*60
Color:*16.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):*7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):*14

I don't secondary any batch unless I'm dryhopping or adding fruit/wood. Just leave it in primary until you are ready to package.

That is also what I have read. Curious why the recipe calls for secondary, I do not see any additions to create a need for secondary.

I'm assuming there is some other reason why? Can anyone else chime in?

That is also what I have read. Curious why the recipe calls for secondary, I do not see any additions to create a need for secondary.

I'm assuming there is some other reason why? Can anyone else chime in?

Because for hundreds of years, that's how it's been done. The whole "no secondary" thing is a relatively new method spawned by homebrewers.

There is no harm in doing a secondary if you are careful in your methods. Sanitize well, match the vessel to the batch size, and purge the oxygen, and you should be fine.

Another reason to secondary is to age it for a while (getting it off of the yeast) in the carboy before bottling/kegging. I do this regularly when all of my kegs are occupied.

Thanks for the info mesohoppy. Also in sticking with magic hat said I never secondary either. Only if I have a big beer that needs to age and get off the cake.

Anyone brew this lately? Im getting a real bland taste after kegging. Before being kegged i had great "nutty" flavors.

Anyone brew this lately? Im getting a real bland taste after kegging. Before being kegged i had great "nutty" flavors.

Ive brewed it twice in two weeks. I havent kegged or bottled it yet, but both of mine came out thin and bland. I dont know what happened. I scaled it down for a 2.25 gallon batch:

3.304 lb Marris Otter 76.59 %
0.367 lb Flaked Oats 5 Min 8.51 %
0.184 lb Victory 4.27 %
0.367 lb Crystal 60 8.51 %
0.092 lb Chocolate 2.13 %

0.39 oz Fuggle
0.33 oz East Kent Goldings

This look like a good scale down?

Also, my SRM looks off. I calculated it at 17, but it looks a good bit lighter than that. My two batches are to the right, and a local brown ale is to the left. Is this what everyone else is getting?

Nut Brown SRM.jpg

Back