Number of nottingham packets to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smfish

Reaction score
I'm planning a relatively high gravity brew pretty soon, a clone of Velvet Hammer from Peticolas Brewery in Dallas. The OG is around 1.092 with target FG of 1.020ish.

Only really have experience with US-05 and had planned on just pitching two packets of that but had been reading about Nottingham being a good attenuator for higher gravity beers. Any thoughts on this? Would a single packet of the Danstar Nottingham do the job?

You will need two packs of Nottingham. Rehydrate the yeast before pitching. Ferment in the low 60°F range to prevent excessive ester production.

Agree, use two packs. Rehydrate in warm water (75f) and allow to cool to pitching temps prior to adding. Remember to aerate the wort well too.

There is a such thing as over pitching a beer, but you'd have to get crazy with it. The problems associated with over pitching aren't near as bad as under pitching in my opinion. I'd pitch 2 rehydrated packs into well aerated wort.

(p.s. I don't think I've used the word pitch so many times in my entire life lol)

Thanks for the apparent consensus. I'll grab two packs and see what happens. I've read it can go pretty low also but would the higher OG keep it from going to it's potential 1.008 or is that primarily driven by the relative amount of fermentables?

From my experience with Notty...it's a beast! That being said, getting from 1.092 to .008 is asking a lot. It really would depend on your grain bill, mash temp, and ratio of unfermentable to fermentable sugars. What is your grain bill?

pitch at 62. ferment for 4 days at 64. slowly rise to 67 after that. notty is a great yeast. only second to my favorite, wlp007.
although i'm still not sure why ppl continue to rehydrate dry yeast, as your wort is *95% WATER.

pitch at 62. ferment for 4 days at 64. slowly rise to 67 after that. notty is a great yeast. only second to my favorite, wlp007.
although i'm still not sure why ppl continue to rehydrate dry yeast, as your wort is *95% WATER.

Dry yeast is rehydrated in water because the sugar in the wort damages the cell walls.

please provide links, source material and citations regarding that claim. zymurgy peer reviewed studies are welcome.

Back