Nugget hops scent, and is this an ok way to store them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cncquinn

Reaction score
I just harvested some nuggets hops and dried them, I've never used nugget before and not sure what the scent is suppose to be. I'm getting a fruity citrus type smell. Can someone tell me if that's accurate for this type. Also I decided that I'd put some in a food processor and then vacuum seal them and store them in the freezer. Does anyone else do this?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

"Somewhat heavy, herbal bitterness and aroma."
"Strong herbal/slight spice aroma and high bittering value"
"Nugget is a great bittering hop with a heavy herbal aroma."

Not sure "fruity citrus" fits in there.
You sure the plant is Nugget?

Also I decided that I'd put some in a food processor and then vacuum seal them and store them in the freezer. Does anyone else do this?

I'm betting absolutely nobody does that...

Cheers!

Would that cause a loss of bitterness or flavor doing that? I just did it thinking I could fit more in a vacuum bag

Running hops through a Cuisinart or food blender will accelerate loss of pretty much everything.

Find the cheapest vacuum sealer on sale - it'll work just as well as the top of the line - and use that before freezing...

Cheers!

I'm using a vacuum sealer. Think I'll just do a test and see if it makes a difference

Still have some in the dryer and much more on the vines I still need to pick. So I have plenty to use if that test fails

Meh. Go nuts.

But do let us know what you use to get all the resin out of whatever machine you use. I'm thinking paint thinner will work...

Cheers! ;)

Meh. Go nuts.

But do let us know what you use to get all the resin out of whatever machine you use. I'm thinking paint thinner will work...

Cheers! ;)[/QUOTE]

Lol, that's a problem, but I got extra dishes :)

Know of any good all nugget recipes?

Sounds like pelletizing but without the pellet, so you don't get the protective effect of the compressed hop matter, just a bunch of dust to oxidize at a much quicker rate. Be an interesting test to see if you can make aged hops faster than just leaving them open in the furnace room.

According to the nursery I got them from they are nugget, also I'm noticing the spicy herbal notes, but not sure why I'm getting a citrus note. I'll do a web search for all nugget recipes and pick up a ounce of nugget for the LHBS and compare.

Back