Now I'm confussed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
i was with a friend brewing last night..........he is experienced (5 plus years) so I was picking his brain on some things...............here is what has me confussed

I told him I was not going to use a secondary and I was going to leave my brew in the primary for 3-4 weeks.............He highly recommended using a secondary and did not suggest leaving it the primary for that long........he was also down on not using a glass carboy for the secondary..............I would like to use a Best Bottle...........what is everyone's thought............also its been in the primary for 8 days, is it to late to move to secondary and if I do move to secondary how long should I keep it in there before racking to bottles

Well first off there are different ways to brew different styles of beer. Basically pay attention to temperature and take specific gravity readings to tell you when it is ready.

Many people, myself included, brew certain beers only in a primary. Sometimes you rack beer because you want to clear out sediment. Sometimes you rack beer because you want your primary back so you can brew something else.

Many people like glass carboys, Many people dislike glass carboys. There are pros and cons to them, just like anything else. I like them because I like to see my beer. I like them because it is much harder to make micro abrasions on that microbes can grow in then plastic.

i think it's revvy who says "you can ask 10 brewers about something and get 12 opinions" or something like that. It seems current thinking is leave the beer in primary and let the yeasties finish their job, then go ahead and bottle. Many threads on glass/better bottle (i assume that is what you were referring to), and really no problems with the better bottles, unless you have a doctor you like stitching you up after dropping a glass carboy.

Different brewers do things different ways, but dont let how they do it dictate to you as the ONLY way it can be done. Some people like secondaries, others dont use them, some like glass, others like plastic. Bottom line, while he may not like those methods and may be scared of them due to the unknown, dont let them scare you way from what you want to do.

There are plenty of brewers on here that have done it every which way that can be imagined, so dont be scared away from leaving it in the primary longer than 8 days and using a better bottle. These are methods that I use and have used them for awhile, so I am sure you will be ok. :mug:

Sounds simply like he's operating on old school beliefs. He still buys both the autolysis yeast fear bugaboo and the glass -vs- plastic argument. It sounds like you may know a wee bit more than him now, or at least more up to date with your info.

Once you were a student, now you are the teacher. :D

:mug:

This is the place where you find the most state of the art info.

I appreciate the input from everyone......like I have said I do not do relax very well............it's good to know that most of these things are flexible

The glass seams very dangerous to me........I'll keep expermenting and see what works for me

thanks again

I use a glass secondary because I have a glass secondary. If I had a plastic one I would use a plastic one. What ever came with my starter kit is what I use right now anyway. Most of my beers go into the secondary after a week or two in the primary for clearing and a lot of them get cold crashed as well. I find that it clears my beers much better. My BIL however doesn't use a secondary and leaves his beers in the primary for 4-6 weeks. His beers are just as clear and taste just as good but he has a couple of primaries so he isn't worried about space. There has been a lot of discussion about secondaries on here and being new I've come the conclusion that it comes down to personal preference. My beers are clearer if I do so I do.

There are many many threads on this site that debate Glass vs Plastic, Stainless vs Aluminum, Secondary vs No Secondary, etc, etc... but in the end, most make good beer.

They all have advantages and disadvantages... to say one is wrong, is well... wrong.

Done properly, I believe, either method is fine (Secondary vs Non Secondary).

Same with Glass Carboy vs Better Bottles.

And no... 8 days in a primary is not too long.

Ed

YOU came to the right place. Welcome to HBT, to brewing, to your new hobby.

Invite your friend to join also, and to do some reading. Many of my preconceived notions after 5 years of brewing have shifted dramatically by reading threads here. And you know what? My beers are better than ever!

Brew how you want to. Take notes. Change it up a bit, see if you notice the difference and if it's for the better. Absolutely do what works for YOU!

Yep. He is old school, but this of course doesn't mean he is wrong. He just has a different way to brew. As long as you brew tasty beer, it's all good.

I only rarely use a secondary, but I used to use one on almost every batch.
Oaked beers get a secondary, some fruit beer, or a late addition brett.

I've recently tried dry-hopping in primary and it works well! REALLY WELL!

I have a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. It's heavy when full, slippery when wet, and a pain to clean. Extra racking, extra cleaning, extra pain. not worth the gain. will be trying adding fruit, and oak to primary after ferm stops soon. might just be down to late addition brett for secondary.

I'd say that if you were careful while transferring your beer there is no good reason NOT to use a secondary. But there is also no good reason TO use a secondary in this case (unless you just need the primary empty for some reason, but if you are brewing that often, I recommend buying a second primary for around $10).

I think that most people here would agree that keeping a beer in the primary for a few weeks does not promote autolysis. I usually ferment on the primary for 3-4 weeks. I will use a secondary for dry-hopping or adding fruit/whathaveyou, or if I am bulk aging a high gravity beer. Most styles don't require that.

Glass vs plastic... I use glass when I secondary, simply because I have it. I am careful, and still worry to some degree about the thing exploding. Probably unnecessarily. Use a BB and don't feel bad. The chance of getting O2 through it and having your beer oxidized is small. I prefer a bucket for primary because they are easier to handle and clean.

As everyone has said, different strokes for different folks. Try both ways and see what you like. Sometimes I use a BB for secondary and sometimes I don't. It's all good.

Latest posts

Back