Sorbate for still cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal batch of cider using bottled apple juice with some added sugars.
Starting Gravity 1.06 +/-
Last Reading 1.012 +/-
Using Nottingham Ale Yeast.
Used a Yeast Energizer as well 2 Tsp

Been about ten days in primary and now its been racked to a carboy.

Would adding Potassium Sorbate effectively stop any more fermentation so I can back sweeten and then bottle?

Would adding Potassium Sorbate effectively stop any more fermentation so I can back sweeten and then bottle?

No. Adding sorbate doesn't stop an active fermentation.

Sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction. Since an active fermentation doesn't need yeast reproduction, adding sorbate when the yeast are active will do nothing.

Waiting until the cider is clear, and no longer dropping ANY lees at all (sediment), and then racking off of the sediment and onto a solution of sorbate, campden, and water, will work. Doing it that way is the key to avoiding bottle grenades.

So how does one just knock the yeast out once you have achieved the gravity you are looking for.

So how does one just knock the yeast out once you have achieved the gravity you are looking for.

I've heard that some people stick it in the fridge, so that the yeast drops out, but most wine yeast (and many ale yeast) are still active at fridge temperatures.

In theory, if you get the cider to near freezing, and the bulk of the yeast drops out, then you rack to a new carboy from above the yeast, and sorbate it then, it might work. In practice, not dependably.

An easier way to do it is to start with a lower OG (for the desired ABV), ferment out, stabilize, and sweeten to taste. That's what most winemakers/cidermakers/mazers do.

If you're impatient, and can't wait for it to finish, you could pasteurize it on the stove top following the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum.

Latest posts

Back