November surge in homebrewing interest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
home-brewing-58011.png

According to Google trends, the subject of homebrewing consistently spikes in the months of November - January.

Anyone want to take a stab at this one? Is it due to the xmas holiday approaching and people searching for xmas gifts and perhaps the trend continues as the gift recipients search to learn about brewing once they open their new brew kit?

Perhaps its the onset of cooler weather and people looking for a hobby to keep them busy until it warms up.

What are your thoughts? Were you a contributor to this trend.

I started my brewing adventure right in the middle of this time period for reasons unrelated to the holiday or cold weather.

Holiday is easily the biggest factor behind the spike. It's a great gift idea, and a popular one, to boot.

I gotta admit I contributed. My birthday was in November and my boyfriend bought me an equipment kit! I was so excited as I always wanted one. That helped at Christmas too because a lot of my gifts were brew related.

I also fall into the category of it's a great hobby to have during cold weather. I garden pretty serious in the spring and summer with vegetables and herbs and can stuff in the fall. I miss that in mid winter especially before I can start my seedlings. This keeps me busy and productive. I'm not staring blankly at the TV while researching brew stuff.

Christmas is easily #1. Being cold weather is def another one. I got my brew kit in January of '11. That after searching for info on it over the hilidays.

For me it was the onset of cooler weather. The frozen landscape meant I wouldn't need to spend so much time on yard work. I'd finally have some time to do something I'd like to do instead of have to do.

Definitely relates to Christmas. Virtually every year, I get questions from people at work on what kit they should buy for their husband/brother/father/boyfriend...

Not to mention an influx of new members on here with the usual questions. Always a good thing for maintaining a healthy web site.

You know what funny about for me? Every year about that time I go dormant, and don't bree at all. In reality winter/fall would be the best time for me to brew. Instead I do most of my brewing in the oppressive Oklahoma summer. Stoopid.

I guess the cold just makes me lazy and lethargic.

Not to mention an influx of new members on here with the usual questions. Always a good thing for maintaining a healthy web site.

I have noticed that too, seems like everyone just joined.

I think its both cold weather and holidays. I seem to brew more from Sept-Mar. Something about autumn makes me want to get the fermentors filled.

Personally I was meaning to get into the hobby for a long time but I waited for Black Friday to buy the kit. That let to me doing tons of reading and research over the holidays.

It is the holiday factor. Brew kits are a very popular Christmas gift. The guy at my LHBS always starts stocking up on equipment kist for the Christmas rush. He sells a ton of equipment kits. Then in January he sells a lot of ingredient kits to the new brewers.

I am one of those that got the equipment to get started for a Christmas Gift.

I know that. Just stating a point of interest. On the other hand,it could get those brewers to show another the ropes.

Don't forget, November 3 is "Learn to Homebrew Day"

Very interesting that the Home Brewers Association would chose a date so close to Christmas to promote this hobby. I'm sure the publicity is a contributing factor to the spike as gift seekers internal light bulb shines bright after a mention by the media.

Equally as interesting is the fact that the Home Brewers Association also promotes the "National Homebrew Day" the first Saturday of May each year - which coincided with the lowest point of interest each year.

While the Learn to brew day is designed to promote newcomers into the hobby, National Homebrew Day is designed to invite friends and family over to see your brew site and participate in the activity. Clever.

I doubt either of these have a material impact, since the people that know about these dates are likely already homebrewers.

I agree that these days are not the major driving source.

However, when the media catches wind of the dates and has absolutely nothing else to talk about, they may give it a mention which could help a little.

I've been looking into homebrewing for a while but finally pulled the trigger right before Christmas. I haven't looked back yet.

Obama admitted on Letterman that his cooks do it all. I got the impression that it was his idea,but they do the brewing to his recipe ideas. Still cool though.

I brewed my first batch and joined here very late Oct. or early Nov. but it wasn't because of Christmas. I got tired of how much I was spending for good beer and am also kind of on a do it myself kick. But I suppose that there would be a certain amount every month and I fall into that group.

Back