November in Chicago= Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inch-of-foam

Reaction score
So I recently made a batch of hard cider. I only put 1 gallon of 100% apple juice in a 5 gallon plastic carboy. I wondered if this would effect the fermentation process. The research I've done, indicates that I'd be ok... I used 2 cups of brown sugar, wanting a high alchol percent. At this point it's just a waiting game, and wanted to know when I might see some air bubbles from the air lock? Also I used a small package of cooking yeast while the cider was still warm. Will this slow down my process or stop it? I'm afraid the heat of the cider killed the yeast. I know, it's a loaded question but its been close to 20 hours and no air bubbles.

An airlock is a pressure release valve NOT a fermentation indicator. Because your brewing in a bucket you may never see any bubbles in the airlock because the CO2 is escaping from around the lid. This is a very common problem with buckets. If you don't want to take a gravity reading put your good ear up to the side of the bucket. If you hear a hissing you know something is going on.

So I recently made a batch of hard cider. I only put 1 gallon of 100% apple juice in a 5 gallon plastic carboy. I wondered if this would effect the fermentation process. The research I've done, indicates that I'd be ok... I used 2 cups of brown sugar, wanting a high alchol percent. At this point it's just a waiting game, and wanted to know when I might see some air bubbles from the air lock? Also I used a small package of cooking yeast while the cider was still warm. Will this slow down my process or stop it? I'm afraid the heat of the cider killed the yeast. I know, it's a loaded question but its been close to 20 hours and no air bubbles.

2 cups of sugar? I use about 4 lbs for 5 gallons. Also a packet of ale yeast is like 4 dollars. You should try to source some

So I woke up this morning to see the air lock bubble up. I also checked for a hissing noise and it clear to say were fermenting. I'm excited to continue this batch. I'm also considering dry hopping it. It's gonna be one strong cider.

2 cups of sugar? I use about 4 lbs for 5 gallons. Also a packet of ale yeast is like 4 dollars. You should try to source some

So you added 7.66889 cups of sugar to your 5 gallon batch. With that said I used .533778 cups more then you did per gallon. I did this because it makes for a higher percentage of alcohol. :rockin:

Oh I didn't read you only made a gallon batch, FYI one cup of sugar weights 6 oz. given your calculations( don't know where you got them) I added 2.87 lbs which is wrong.

Back