notty and uso5, the same?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmazer

Reaction score
Hello all

I made a couple batches on Sunday, the notty batch is doing the usual foam overflow, the Safale us05 has great bubbler action that started a few hours before the notty, but minimal foam.
Are notty and safale us05 the same? Is it normal for great bubbler activity but minimal foaming with us05? I have usually used coopers or muntons, been trying some others lately.

Not really concerned, both seem to be moving right along, just curious.

Also, I have read that raising temps on us05 after the first week or so helps the yeast to clean up, what about notty, would it be adviseable to raise the temp on both after a week or so? Are temps raised after activity slows down as a general rule with ale yeasts? Do I wait for SG to stabilize first? Fermenter temps are low to mid 60's currently.

Eric

I use liquid yeast strains, personally. But, Nottingham (an English strain) and US-05 are not the same yeast strain. They could act the same/similar depending on what you're fermenting.

Personally, I don't increase the temps of my ales as they ferment, or once done. Low to mid 60's, IME, are good for ale yeasts. I would suggest looking up more information as to what each will give you in the temperature ranges. Very often you can get very different flavors, esters, etc. from the same strain fermented at different temperature ranges. Most of the strains I use (only a few mind you) produce what I want in the lower end of the range. I do what I can to keep them fermenting at/below the mid 60's F.

both are very clean & highly attenuative, but they're not the same strain.

u can ramp up the temp towards the end to help finish off any brew, but it shouldnt be necessary with these

Threads abound on this. My recollection is that the 05 (Chico) strain emerged as a variant of the yeast strain from the Ballantine Brewery and that Ballantine used Notty. Don’t take my word though, look around the forum and you’ll find out. If you really want to start a warm thread say that you can (or can't) tell the difference in taste between the two.

As a user of both yeasts, the only big diffence is Nottingham is a much more flocculant strain. I'm happy with both though.

Latest posts

Back