nottingham dry yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
So I brewed yesterday. I rehydrated the yeast and it bloomed quickly. I pitched the yeast 16 hours ago and the air lock isn't bubbling. However, the krausen is quite large. Should I be worried? I've never had krausen without the air lock bubbling away. I checked to make sure the lid is sealed tight and air lock is tight in the grommet

No you should not be worried. Yet another leaky lid panic.

Lids often leak even when you take great pains to get them on tight. Either there is not enough gas to pressurize the headspace, or it is finding an easier way out than through the airlock. If everything is sanitary there is no problem.

The fermenter and lid are brand new. Only used once. I double checked to make sure it's on tight.

No you should not be worried. Yet another leaky lid panic.

Lids often leak even when you take great pains to get them on tight. Either there is not enough gas to pressurize the headspace, or it is finding an easier way out than through the airlock. If everything is sanitary there is no problem.
Should I try another lid

Should I try another lid

no, you should not.

Airlock activity has nothing to do and is not an indication of fermentation.

there is nothing to worry about.

by changing lids you relieve any pressure, risk contamination, for no reason.

ive been brewing for about 2 years and never seen this happen before thats why i was worried.

I would not change lids now. For the next one you might try a different lid. This is why I prefer my Better Bottles. The bung seals well and you can see what is happening. Though I only look for krausen to know that fermentation has started. I then look again in about 2 weeks when I plan on bottling or kegging the beer. Longer in the case of darker beers that benefit from some aging.

I had a similar experience also using Nottingham. As others have responded it had nothing to do with yeast or poor fermentation. I had a leak in the blowoff tube in my conical.
I would not worry, and would not replace the lid this time.
Next time you ferment in the bucket just make sure the seal is placed correctly and free of damage.
You sould be fine and your beer will be great.

No need to worry. As others have said airlock activity does not equate to fermentation and vise versa. I'd go a step further and say that once I got over my need to hear that airlock bubbling, I have switched over to open fermentations. Especially with top cropping yeast, all belgians and saisons. I'm not telling you this to persuade you to do the same, but once you see how many homebrews and professional are fermented in this manner, you'll see how unimportant getting a tight lid actually is.

I'd say no need to even replace the lid for future batches. The lid's only job is to keep bad stuff out, and any level of reasonable tightness is certainly enough for that. Air may be escaping around the edge somewhere, but that does not necessarily mean that "bad" air is entering. The one caveat I would give is that if you plan to keep you beer for a month or more for aging, I would make sure it is in a pretty airtight container to lower the chances of oxidation (but in that situation I would transfer it out of a plastic bucket and into something more suitable anyway).

It seems it was something with my airlock. I sanitized another one and switched them. Now it's bubbling up a storm. Might just have been coincidence in my timing I don't know. I just never had it happen before. It almost looks like yeast or form in air lock that may have limited air flow

Check the airlock and make sure it's pressed deep enough into the bung. It's surprising how little of a leak it takes to bypass the bubbler.
There was stuff in the airlock blocking it. This beer shouldn't need a blow-off tube but I'll keep checking to make sure it doesn't happen again

There was stuff in the airlock blocking it. This beer shouldn't need a blow-off tube but I'll keep checking to make sure it doesn't happen again

When in doubt, use a blow off tube. I start every fermentation with a blow off tube installed.

It will only take once cleaning up a mess to make you wish you had one installed.

I read about cleaning up blow offs, so I started out using blow off tubes and have saved myself the experience of cleaning the ceiling.

yeah I guess i'll have to. I just wasnt expecting it. this brew is supposed to be around 6.5 abv.

Latest posts

Back