Nottingham ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrrk

Reaction score
Hi, im not the newest to brewing, and have read all kinds of info through different threads about Nottingham ale yeast.
The question I have about it is how much of this 11g pack to use in a 5gal batch, most people complain of blow overs and I wonder if they used to much? Ive read about primary brew temps as well and will be brewing at a cool temp.
I have never used the product, and would like to know the dosage. I want this next batch to go somewhat flawless, thanks! Cheers!

I don't use Nottingham but I always put a full pack in and try and do 17C(ish) for first 3 days at least before moving it to room temp

I always use a blow off tube (rubber bung, plastic tube pushed in that goes in to a jug with star san)

1 out of 3 brews I do blow off even on a low temp - filling the carboy up too much is part of problem - but I don't like to waste it

11 grams dry yeast is actually an overpitch for 5 gallons of standard gravity (<1.070) wort. You can get by fine with just half a pack, and maybe even less. That's what I use these days, less than everyone else. My beer does not suck too bad either (okay maybe a little ;) ).

I use the yeast alot.
1 pack for 5gal batch.
I have done 1 pack for a lower gravity 10gal batch.
And I do a big beer, 10gal and use 2 packs.

I never rehydrate, just pitch with the wort cool.
I typically start fermentation at 65F

The pack says 0.5g to a gallon but that doesn't seem right to me, I'm used to using 5 gram packs for 5 gallon batches. I have heard of people actually using a secondary yeast addition in some cases, I think if I use a larger fermenter it should be ok, if I use a blow off tube i could loose a lot of yeast.

11g/5 gallons is a pretty standard pitch rate. To avoid a blow-off, use a big enough fermenter and a blow-off tube. I've got a big imperial stout going on two packs of Nottingham right now. The first few days were pretty intense (thanks in no small part to the 1.097 wort). With a relatively undersized blow-off tube going full-blast, the krausening wort actually found a way to seep past the gasket sealing the lid on, but there was no actual explosive blowout.

Anybody use this yeast in a cider? how does it finish?
I did parallel brews with Nott and 1118 once. The Nott cleared faster, but they both ended up about the same. I personally liked the Nott better, but others disagreed with me. I'm not a big cider drinker, so what do I know?
p.s. I'm also getting on - I had to get my glasses out to read the package too.

edit: neither produced a lot of krausen - filled carboys to the shoulder and just used airlocks.

Finally found the pictures. Nottingham on the left, 1118 on the right. Made with pasteurized, "not-from-concentrate" AJ. I think this was about 3 weeks in. Both came crystal clear in about 8 weeks, nice golden color.

Finally found the pictures. Nottingham on the left, 1118 on the right. Made with pasteurized, "not-from-concentrate" AJ. I think this was about 3 weeks in. Both came crystal clear in about 8 weeks, nice golden color.
I like the color, my 1118 run was light as well and too dry, I am going to try a version of Brandon O's Graf if you have heard of that?, Im aiming to make it darker though.

Anybody use this yeast in a cider? how does it finish?
It's pretty much my go to for cider. Finishes well, no real memorable flavors from the yeast. My ciders are pretty straight forward though.

I like the color, my 1118 run was light as well and too dry, I am going to try a version of Brandon O's Graf if you have heard of that?, Im aiming to make it darker though.
I tried a simplified version after reading the whole thread, hoping it would give a slightly sweeter cider. Mashed high and it was a bit sweeter, but not much. I liked the bit of malty flavor, but thought it could use more. Read the Gunslinger thread and decided "what the heck". I just put down an "apple stout", based on my standard sweet stout recipe. We'll see.

Back