nottingham ale yeast sourdough flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
i've made a few batches of ed's wort haus pale and a few other light beers with nottingham ale yeast. it seems like the when it's brewed at a moderate to warm temp, i sometimes get a little bit of a sourdough bread twang as an after taste. when fermented on the low temp range, i get a really nice clean taste. wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if i'm not treating the yeast right.

i've made a few batches of ed's wort haus pale and a few other light beers with nottingham ale yeast. it seems like the when it's brewed at a moderate to warm temp, i sometimes get a little bit of a sourdough bread twang as an after taste. when fermented on the low temp range, i get a really nice clean taste. wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if i'm not treating the yeast right.

Nottingham likes cool fermentation and letting it get too warm does get you some interesting flavors. Too warm for Nottingham may be mid 60's or above and it does ferment really clean if you keep it below that. It will ferment down to the mid 50's but it will be quite slow.

Yes, there are many threads commenting on this. Most say temp is the thing. I get a yogurt (plain yogurt) twang sometimes from Notty and my temps are always low. I think its ingredients. However, I’ll bet if you look long enough on this site, someone has done controlled tests to see what generates it. Good luck.

Interesting--I have a stout I made with Notty and it's pretty good overall, but there is a subtle "twang" to it that I don't much care for.

ok. wasn't sure if it was a bad couple batches or what. it's an english yeast so i guess i'm not too surprised as i've had a few british ales with a slight sour twang to them.

I've made 2 batches with Notty and I didn't like either. Fermented in the low/mid 60's too. It's on my don't repeat list.

Back