Nottingham 5 weeks and still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
I've kept the room at 60fahrenheit recently although when it first started outside temps were up and down.
It's still bubbling after 5 weeks although slower. Shouldn't it have stopped by now?
Juice was 1.045 at start so not that high in sugar

I have similar issues at times. Check the SG and taste your sample. It's probably fermented fine. Cold crash and clear as you want...

Cider can do that did u us yeat nutrients or energizer? Seems to keep it from happing id check the gravity. If u still have a way to go throw some yeast energizer at it just a tsp maby even 1/2

I've kept the room at 60fahrenheit recently although when it first started outside temps were up and down.
It's still bubbling after 5 weeks although slower. Shouldn't it have stopped by now?
Juice was 1.045 at start so not that high in sugar

Totally normal. Got a 1 gallon batch of graff that's still bubbling in its 5th week. Recipe said package at two weeks. Places a few question marks over the author's recipe IMO. I used S-O5 but it behaves similarly to Notty

I wouldn't add nutrient now. Probably not enough sugar left for the yeast to use the nutrient and you may pick up flavors of yeast nutrient. Just let it ride as it is. 5 weeks is only 1 1/4 months. I just racked a batch of a similar age that was still bubbling slightly. It still hasn't fully cleared (didn't cold crash tho) but won't be bottled for a few months either way probably.

I agree with Caliper, don't fuss with it. Some batches of cider take longer than others do; I couldn't tell you specifically why though. Time is something that always seems to improve the flavor of ciders.

what are you trying to make?

if you're trying to make a sweet cider (FG ~1.010) then you do not want to add nutrient by design

if you're trying to make a dry cider (FG ~as low as it goes) then you certainly can add nutrient but it's not necessarily required.

Latest posts

Back