Not your normal autolysis question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledbed6b

Reaction score
Well, first an intro, I have been homebrewing for 2 years or so, well over 50 batches most of which were all grain. I have only ever tossed 3 batches. Moral of the story here, I am not a total newb.

Well back in march of this year I brewed a kate the great clone, everything went perfect, let it ferment for a month or so, hit my final gravity and expected attenuation spot on. Smelled amazing. Well fast forward until a couple minutes ago. I finally kegged the beer. It tastes nasty there is an overwhelming flavor kinda like a1 steak sauce, and some kind of fruit. It had been sitting in the same fermenter the whole time on the yeast and trub. When I opened the fermenter it was definitely still full of co2, burned my nostrils.

So my question, is there anything I can do? Its kegged now I don't have a keg shortage so I can let this thing sit indefinitely, is there any hope for this beer?

Is there a chance the issue is coming from your dispensing equipment? Dirty keg tube, rubber, line, etc?

If it is the beer and you can sit on it, I'd let it relax for a few months, transferring it off of any settled particulates every couple weeks. If it were me, I'd run it through a filter, too.

Is there a chance the issue is coming from your dispensing equipment? Dirty keg tube, rubber, line, etc?

If it is the beer and you can sit on it, I'd let it relax for a few months, transferring it off of any settled particulates every couple weeks. If it were me, I'd run it through a filter, too.

Nope, I clean all my kegs thoroughly, was using a short bit of tube to dispense from.

I'm going to let it sit, who knows what might happen. Worse comes to worse I may try to sour it or something weird.

US-05 and precisely controlled temp of 65deg for 18 days, then bumped it up to 68 for a week. It had hit final gravity by then. After that it was around 62 for 8 months. I'd be very surprised if that yeast through an off flavor, I have used it to similar alcohol levels before with no issues.

A 12% ABV beer sitting on a yeastcake for basically 9 months? I would EXPECT autolysis after that amount of time on such a large quantity of yeast. I don't believe there's much to be done besides learn to transfer for bulk aging, especially when you're talking about months and/or high abv beers.

Yeah I was wondering if anyone had gotten rid of an autolysis flavor. I never age beers on the yeast for more than a month or two, but life got in the way. I have 20 or so corny kegs so I usually age in those or carboys. I even have some sanke kegs that I can age large batches in, ferment in one, age in the other.

Oh well lesson learned, autolysis is not a myth, it just takes a while.

Latest posts

Back