not what i was expecting to taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish83

Reaction score
I just brewed up my first batch of home brew last SAturday. I got a deluxe home brew kit from Northern Brewer and an IPA kit from Brewer's Best. I followed the recipe and after 48 hours the kreuzen was rising fast so i switched to a blow off tube. Yesterday (day 5) I switched back to the airlock. In between the switch I grabbed a sample to test the gravity. After testing the gravity I decided to drink it cuz I know you should never put it back (I guess because of splashing?). It smelled good, but tasted horrible. My first comparison was cardboard.

I am hoping it is normal and that it still needs more time fermenting. Any ideas?

It might be hard to judge what it will end up tasting like on a 5 day sample. The only thing you can really do is wait it out and taste the final product.

Cardboard taste is a sign of oxidation. I now know what exactly this taste like because I had to dump a batch recently because of this. However, I know that I foolishly caused the oxidation. Live and learn I guess.

In your case, I would wait at least another week before making any final judgements.

Give it a lot more time than just next week. The taste changes alot during the whole process. Give it at least three weeks in primary, and 3 in the bottles, before passing judgement, If you can wait 5 in the bottles is better.

Cardboard taste is a sign of oxidation. I now know what exactly this taste like because I had to dump a batch recently because of this. However, I know that I foolishly caused the oxidation. Live and learn I guess.

In your case, I would wait at least another week before making any final judgements.

Just curious but what did you do to cause the oxidation?

Back