Not sure what "Hoppy" Beer has to do with "Exploding Bottles"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well known phenomenon known mostly as "hop creep". When enzymes present in hops trigger renewed fermentation and increased attenuation after dry hopping. Research has been floating around pro circles for some some, just now making wider circles including homebrew circles.

Not unheard of for cans and bottles drop a full Plato of gravity and gain as much as a full volume of CO2 compared to packaging time.

Sorta firsthand experience with this, but with a keg. Brewed a Double IPA a couple of weeks ago, and then put a dry hop charge in after about 12 days later. I figured that fermentation was probably nearly complete (didn't bother taking a gravity reading), and just sealed the keg up. About 2-3 days later I went to take a pressure reading on the keg, only to find that when I opened my fermenter fridge door, I had about quart of beer/hop sludge all over the fridge. It cranked out enough CO2 to pop the PRV!

Back