Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
East coast, Central, West Coast, I enjoy it all. Less on the West coast teams that play at 10:00 at night. Watching LAA , TEX at the moment. It's only Hype if you watch all the crappy pseudo sports shows with the talking heads in suits with baseball mitts and artificial ball fields.
I'll give you credit, I can't watch west coast games. As much as I love my Rangers, when they play on the wrong coast, I miss the games. My alarm goes off at 4:30 every morning and there is no way I'm starting a game at 9-9:30 at night.

I'll give you credit, I can't watch west coast games. As much as I love my Rangers, when they play on the wrong coast, I miss the games. My alarm goes off at 4:30 every morning and there is no way I'm starting a game at 9-9:30 at night.

Being retired helps. I envy my Son who lives on the West Coast. He can get up in the morning and see the East coast games at 10:00 and 4:00. West coast 7:00. Next year will be a chore for the AL Central since interleague is mostly NL West. So a lot more late games for me. Of course the schedule is set up so that the AL east gets the NL central. So not so many late games. But it will rotate around.

Sorry bud but not tonight they couldn't.

I'm not sure if TB is just in a funk or if they gave up. I can't watch all the games. I'm waiting to see who steps up. The Rays, Orioles, Yankees. Indians, Royals all have a shot. It is going to take 87 wins to get the 2nd wild card spot. Can any of those teams win 10? Will someone go on a streak?

I'm not sure if TB is just in a funk or if they gave up. I can't watch all the games. I'm waiting to see who steps up. The Rays, Orioles, Yankees. Indians, Royals all have a shot. It is going to take 87 wins to get the 2nd wild card spot. Can any of those teams win 10? Will someone go on a streak?

We are in a death spiral right now. Not looking good. The playoff spots are completely up for grabs right now.

The problem in TB is lack of offense.

In Baseball tonight, one of the games I was watching, Yanks, Orioles. Rivera came into the 9th in what would normally be a "save" situation. The Yanks were up by 1 run and Rivera retired the side. Yet Rivera got the win instead of the save. This is one of the official scorer rules that should apply more often.

Seems like most of the division races aside from the NL Central are largely done, and the AL West is close but only half as interesting as the NL Central.

AL Wildcard is wide open. NL Wild Card only has the Nats having a shot at of sneaking in. Hope they do I'd rather face them in a 5 game series than the Cardinals, Pirates or Reds.

Koji Uehara, This is how a reliever should throw. I'm still amazed that teams put in relievers that throw 97-102 mph and throw 25 pitches.A reliever with 4.... or 6-7... is the way to go. Uehara is what Boston will use to win the WS

Sox only problem right now is middle relief, and even that hasnt been too bad. If Clay picks up where he left off (which it looks like its a good possibility), they have Clay, Lester, and Lackey for a playoff rotation and they could move Dempster and Doubront to the pen.

I can't believe that Texas will continue playing poorly. I see them stepping it up the way that the Ray's went through the funk and are coming back. I'm interested to see if KC can win the next couple games. Orioles? who knows... someone needs to go on a win streak. Can the Yanks, Royals, or Orioles win 9 of 12/13? I watched so many games today I'm getting lost. But I do know that in a 2 week period teams can step it up. Also to FermentusMaximus..... Really? That is what you have to worry about? An 8th inning pitcher.... everyone should be so lucky. Chill... LAD took care of all your problems. Thank goodness that the planets aligned and you could dump all your salary and through shrewd management build a team. If the Dodgers didn't have the deep pockets where do you think you'd be this year.

F%$&ing Rangers!!!!!!!!!! Lost 7 in a row and have NOT lead one single time in those 7 games. First time in the history of the team, included the Washington Senators, that this has happened! ****!! Looks like our season is just about over. Oh well. In the words of the great Ron Washington, "That's how baseball go."

F%$&ing Rangers!!!!!!!!!! Lost 7 in a row and have NOT lead one single time in those 7 games. First time in the history of the team, included the Washington Senators, that this has happened! ****!! Looks like our season is just about over. Oh well. In the words of the great Ron Washington, "That's how baseball go."

Tonight might be your night to break the streak. The Ray's pitcher tonight, Helickson, has been terrible lately.

If anyone thinks the Sox will be caught in the East is sadly mistaken. First the East then get that HFA. Go Sox.

I'd say the Sox have it wrapped up. They are fantastic this year (beards notwithstanding). Even Ortiz, who I thought was finished a couple of years ago, is playing well.

Though, I do like the way the Rays and the Sox match up. So, while the Sox have won this battle, the war is far from over. See you in October (I hope).

I post too many times in this thread. But I just like baseball. I looked back through this years posts because I was sure that I had posted about the ridiculous season ending Tiger schedule earlier. I've been railing about the schedule all year but I guess it was to only my family and friends. Jim Leyland spoke about it yesterday.

"I think it's totally unfair for an American League team to finish in a National League city for the last three games of the season," Leyland said. "I don't mind Interleague play at the end of the season, if that's what you want to do, that's fine. But in my opinion, if you're going to have an American League team play a National League team the last three days of the season, it should be in an American League park."
If Detroit makes the playoffs, and Martinez doesn't start any of the games in Miami, he could potentially go a week without playing in a full game. There is a four-day break between the end of the regular season and the playoffs for division winners.
"I don't try to open up a can of worms, or upset any of the people who make the schedule or anything like that, but it's ridiculous, plain and simple," Leyland said.

Now, anyone that knows Leyland will know that he would never say anything bad against the MLB, so for him to say this backs up what I've been saying all year. How did the schedule makers take a possible Playoff contender and make them play the final 3 games in a NL park? It's bad enough that you have a 4 day rest after the final regular season. But add in 3 more days of your DH spot missing and now face teams that have used the DH for those 3 days. I see that 2014 schedule has the Astros playing the Mets next year in a AL park. Which I don't mind. Neither team is expected to be in contention.

I also like the looks of the 2014 schedule for all the teams I've looked at. Much better job. I like the Idea that the Yankees have to play the Red Sox the final games rather than the Astros like this year.... Really? The 2013 schedule pitted the perennial AL contending Yanks against what everyone considered the weakest team in the AL for the final 3 games....

Passed, looks like a split doesn't hurt either one of us! It's about time the Rangers gave Yu some run support. The guy has lost, what, 3 in a row with a final of 1-0. Bout time they started scoring! The previous nights game was great. Except for blowing it in the 12th of course. Still, it was a fun series to watch. Now the Rangers start a series with the Royals. The Royals are 3 games back of the Wild Card, so this series actually means something to both teams. It's gonna be a fun weekend of baseball!

Passed, looks like a split doesn't hurt either one of us!

Ugh. That was an ugly game for us. We will remain tied in head-to-head results now, which means that if TX and Rays end in a Wild Card tie, the play-in game will be in Rangers stadium. The way we're playing, I don't have faith we'll keep up with you. We have a tough schedule ahead.

And the Sox clinch the AL East, so nice.

They deserve it. Now, finish up with a bang agains the O's please.

"I think it's totally unfair for an American League team to finish in a National League city for the last three games of the season," Leyland said.

I agree with him 100%

I hate the Angels but will grant the fans a pass, I wish that two years ago the Angels would have tried to win a game against Texas instead of throwing in the "B" team and deliberately losing games to give Texas the homefield advantage in the AL playoff against the Tigers....Karma...

iaefebs said:
I hate the Angels but will grant the fans a pass, I wish that two years ago the Angels would have tried to win a game against Texas instead of throwing in the "B" team and deliberately losing games to give Texas the homefield advantage in the AL playoff against the Tigers....Karma...

I'm pretty sure they just sucked and didn't deliberately throw it

PP two games left. Three teams going for two spots, I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm exhausted watching the last week and a half . How are you holding up?

PP two games left. Three teams going for two spots, I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm exhausted watching the last week and a half . How are you holding up?

Nervous. Cleveland and Texas are excellent teams. I hope Cleveland holds on, because I don't like to see our Rays play Texas (we always get beat in the playoffs by them).

BTW, I'm in Detroit on business. This town is understandably pumped for their Tigs. The Tigs should have won last night but your 3rd base coach screwed up and didn't push a run home. Oh well, you guys are only playing for home field advantage, which isn't a big deal IMO.

passedpawn said:
Nervous. Cleveland and Texas are excellent teams. I hope Cleveland holds on, because I don't like to see our Rays play Texas (we always get beat in the playoffs by them). BTW, I'm in Detroit on business. This town is understandably pumped for their Tigs. The Tigs should have won last night but your 3rd base coach screwed up and didn't push a run home. Oh well, you guys are only playing for home field advantage, which isn't a big deal IMO.

Dang! 2 games left in the regular and I'm just now seeing this thread...go TB! They play like that again and they're out of the running I'm afraid. You in FL?

Back