Not my weekend for yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoheroe

Reaction score
Last wednesday I pulled out my DME to make my starter for the weekend and it was rock hard. It had been a couple months since my last brew day, so while disappointed I wasnt too surprised. I've pitched the vial of white labs straight into the fermentor in the past with little trouble, so I didnt see this as a big deal, especially since I knew I wouldnt be able to get more DME in time to make a starter. Brew day Saturday went smooth and no isssues, chilled and racked to the fermentor, pitched later that day. After pitching I noticed the vial didnt smell quite right...a little sour. Sunday evening no activity, Monday Afternoon, still nothing, still smelled like wort. Grabbed the kids and ran to my LHBS and grabbed another vial to pitch hoping its not too late. Of course it foams up as soon as i open it to pitch. Time will tell.....

have you experienced any 2-3 day lag times with success? My biggest concern is the wort going bad before it even has a chance to start fermenting.

Yes, I have had multiple day lag times when beer came out great.

The DME was probably solidified due to humdity, you probably could have broken it up with a hammer in a pinch.

I knew it just got too humid, never even thought to try to use it anyway. Normally I could have gone to my LHBS, but I was too busy.

Back