not enough yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
This is similar to another post on here, but not exactly. Im making a 10 gallon batch of lager and i went to the home brew store and they only had one packet of each type of yeast.

is it ok to pitch just one pack of yeast in 10 gallons? Im using wyeast 2035 american lager.

keep in mind, im in no hurry, this can sit in the primary for a few weeks if need be.
i dont have any dme to make a starter either, i can go buy some if i have to, but its not something i usually keep on hand.

thanks

You do not want to wast 10 gallons of beer due to unhealthy yeast. Mr malty.com, best yeast tool. If you really don't want to buy dme you could take a portion of your wort and start fermentation in a separate vessel with 2 quarts, use that as your starter then pitch that in your wort.

I have had enough bad beer, I'd take the time to go by mr.malty calculations.

Cheers!

For a lager especially you need to pitch a lot of cells. You would probably want to use a 6-8 liter starter for 10 gallons, depending on your OG. 1 pack will be a massive underpitch.

For a lager especially you need to pitch a lot of cells. You would probably want to use a 6-8 liter starter for 10 gallons, depending on your OG. 1 pack will be a massive underpitch.

6-8 liter starter?! Thats massive! How the heck?!..

You could brew a low gravity beer with the one packet of yeast, if it isn't to old, harvest the yeast cake and use the harvested yeast for the lager. If the yeast is old a small starter may be necessary.

Instead of a huge starter you could make smaller, multiple starters in steps. Two good calculators for stepped up starters.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/
http://www.homebrewdad.com/yeast_calculator.php

Im assuming a stepped up starter would be good if i had a stir plate? I dont see how a 6-8 liter starter would fit on a stir plate

Starters on a stir plate will finish faster, and propagate more cells, than the shake and swirl method due to the constant aeration.
I've never made over a three liter starter, using a stir plate. I had used a 1.5 gallon pickle jar for that one. Eight liters might be possible, but finding a suitable container may be difficult.

Stepped starters can be made with the shake and swirl method. Time is greatly increased to allow at least 36 hours for one step to finish, then cold crash for decanting, before starting the next step.

You will need plenty of starters. A stir plate can do them in a shorter amount of time and propagate more yeast. I would consider my stir plate and essential piece of brewing equipment.

ok, so i decided i'm going to make a 5 gallon batch instead because i dont have a spare 3 gallon jar around at the moment.
the sites still say i should make a starter still! 2 step even! so when i do this, should i leave this ferment at room temp even though its a lager? or put it in the fridge?

Should i even bother making a stir plate being i do 10 gallon batches?

I think so. A 2L starter is enough for a 1.050 ale, but lagers demand twice as much yeast as ales, so you would need to do a step starter (one about 2L, then one about 3L), which is what I do (at about half that volume) for my 5 gallon lagers.

It requires more planning, but you should make a starter unless you want to buy several packs of yeast every brew. Dried yeast is a less expensive alternative, but would still be a little pricy for 10 gallon lager batches.

This is similar to another post on here, but not exactly. Im making a 10 gallon batch of lager and i went to the home brew store and they only had one packet of each type of yeast.

is it ok to pitch just one pack of yeast in 10 gallons? Im using wyeast 2035 american lager.

keep in mind, im in no hurry, this can sit in the primary for a few weeks if need be.
i dont have any dme to make a starter either, i can go buy some if i have to, but its not something i usually keep on hand.

thanks

If you use that 1 packet of yeast and make yourself a nice big starter, at least 1 gallon I'd say for a stir plate and probably double if your not just as a guess. If you pitch that 1 packet into 10 gallons I can almost guarantee your going to be disappointed in the results.

ok, so i decided i'm going to make a 5 gallon batch instead because i dont have a spare 3 gallon jar around at the moment.
the sites still say i should make a starter still! 2 step even! so when i do this, should i leave this ferment at room temp even though its a lager? or put it in the fridge?

Yes, make the starter ASAP at room temperature. Then, stick it in the fridge for at least 3 days before brewday. Decant the spent wort, and use the yeast. Chill your wort to 48-50 degrees, and use the yeast right out of the fridge.

Most ales need a yeast starter if over about 1.040, but lagers always need far more yeast. If not making a starter, 10 gallons of a modest OG lager would take approximately 10 packages of yeast, while for an ale it may only be half that, or 5 packages.

Saving yeast slurry can really save money. Once I use a package of yeast, I save the trub and it can then be used to ferment 20+ gallons of new ale. It is so much better than buying 5 packages of yeast for a 10 gallon batch!

Back