Not enough pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aracer

Reaction score
So, I had my lager for about 2 weeks at 55 F and open one to see the pressure. It hasn’t got any, not foam at all. I put priming sugar after fermentation calculated with a sugar calculator, so u don’t think that’s the problem.
What do you think can be the reason for my foam problem?

Your lager needs to be fermented cool so the yeast don't contribute to the flavor like some ale yeasts do but when it comes time to carbonate, warmer temps are needed to get the yeast going again. The period where off flavors would be produced by the warmer temps is well over and now you need to warm it up. Try upper 60's to low 70's for a few days, then when you have carbonation where you want it chill it to lagering temps.

What he said.^

You need to put your bottles in a warmer area to carbonate. 65-70F is recommended. It takes 2-3 weeks on average.
It should happen at 55F too, but will take much longer, also depending on the yeast used.

Other possibilities:
  • You didn't add anything else to the beer did you? Just (pure) sugar, right?
  • Bottle caps may not seal well enough.
  • There's no live yeast left in the bottles, or not enough. That's rare though, especially after only 2 weeks of fermentation, unless you pasteurized the bottles after filling.

Tha you, I’ll try to rise the temperature above 70 for 2 weeks more. But, when I bottle the beer, it looks very clear, might be this mean that there was no more yeast left?

Back